Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rotating lens adapter for Micro 4/3 primes
  • Looking at old TV cameras, you can see some that have three lenses mounted which rotate. Since Micro 4/3 needs an adapter anyway, why not make where you can attach three prime lenses and rotate them while filming? I would buy one!
  • 22 Replies sorted by
  • Like this?
    http://auction-team.de/new_highlights/2010_09/ph/060_b%20%A9%202010%20by%20Auction%20Team%20Breker%20K%F6ln%20Germany.jpg

That's a system called turret cameras. I posted something about that turret adapters should be made and most people agreed, but not much else. Perhaps it is time to write to Ciecio7 about it? One thing that I think of though is if the GH2's mount is strong enough to hold it?
  • So cool. Thanks for the photo. It could be made from aluminum and I'm sure the GH2 could hold three primes, the 20mm and the 45mm Olly are very light.
  • I would buy one in a heartbeat. Imagine being able to mount 3 fast primes and all three could be a different mount. There is a topic about this in Pro cameras section about this.
  • +1 absolutely would buy one for anything south of $1000. And about the GH2 holding the weight . . . obviously there would have to be a mount on the turret itself. The GH2 mount, while not the strongest, is perfectly capable of bearing the camera's weight.
  • @DrDave: True, but doubt it would work with M4/3 lenses though, as the flange distance would be off.
  • Ah I see. Well, I have plenty of other lenses.
  • sounds like a great idea, would work well for a bunch of c-mounts but not so sure about bigger prime sizes though, cos that thing would really look huge in front of a gh.

anw the pic posted is a 16mm film cam no?
  • @dizzbit: No, that is a 35mm Arriflex. Here is a picture of one in the hands of Stanley Kubrick:
    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2010/8/11/1281547973106/best-shot-stanley-kubrick-006.jpg

But I think an adapter like that for Nikkor or FD mount could work, if it came with lens support.
  • i stand corrected. hopefully this idea can work without costing too much. i really like the idea of switching primes without too much hassle.

else a better investment cld be a good constant apeture zoom lens.
  • Swapping lenses on a GH2 is already so fast and easy, I don't think this is necessary and would just make the camera clunky.
  • I'm wondering of he ever had a good hair day.
  • @ DouglasHorn

It is semi fast but sometimes not fast enough and sometime impractical. For instance run and gun Documentary style shooting. I shot a feature documentary for director Dav Kaufman called Herpers in 2008 with the HVX200/HPX170. The documentary was about reptile fanatics. Lizards and snakes don't do a second take and don't wait for a lens change. I would use a lens turret probably more than a zoom since the lenses would be faster. Plus zooms have more glass which can potentially degrade the image compared to primes.
  • If you really need to switch primes so quickly, use more than one camera body.
  • I kept a zoom on the Arri S and 2 primes when I was using it. That cam is indestructible. However they can leak light, so half the body is always gaf taped.
  • @Brian202020 - I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I use my GH2s mostly as I would use a cinema camera...where a lens change is a minimum of a couple minutes by two people. A one-man 30-60 second lens change is remarkably fast. But for a doc like that, it sounds like a zoom is more appropriate.
  • @DouglasHorn: Same here. I do almost only narrative work, but whenever I'm in an uncontrolled environment, I always prefer zooms, as they allow me to get an idea for a shot whenever I need it, without me having to compromise.
  • @DouglasHorn & @Gabel

Yes most of the stuff I do is narrative as well, and for that work I just change lenses. As for zooms for docs, that is what I use currently when shooting docs. This device would probably help some docs potentially become more cinematic. Although I have a GH2, I'd probably use it more on my AF100. I'd pay $1,000-$1,500 easy for a quality lens turret with interchangeable lens mounts. Maybe someone, like @Vitaliy, should make a CAD drawing of one for the contest.
  • I'd like a spring loaded one, or a precision one with fast action that will change lenses in under one second.
  • @Gabel That's an Arri 16St, right? Used it in Film class as a 2nd camera together with an SR2.
    http://arri16s.com/
    http://home.arcor.de/s.neudeck/arri-st.htm
  • @TraunManufaktur: No, it's an Arri 35S, but they are very similar as one can make out.
  • @Gabel -(Re: the first pic you posted) No, it's a Arri 16s, hence, the 16 on the nameplate. I used that and the bl, & sr in filmmaking classes. The one that Kubrick has looks like a 35 2C - like this one...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZpRITcKN68M/R88NkTId4qI/AAAAAAAAAnc/CdZXWG93u3w/s320/arri2c-2.jpg

I've never heard of an arri 35s.
  • This could be something really fun to play with, especially for documentary style shoot with primes.