Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PIX-E5 + PIX-LR for bmpcc video monitoring and sound recording
  • Hi! I'm going to use bmpcc for short documentary, and i need good monitoring and sound capturing solution. I was going to buy Sound Devices MixPreD preamp to feed bmpcc line in, and SmallHD 502 monitor, but i heard about another one solution - PIX-E5 + PIX-LR attachment which using same preamps and limiters as MixPreD. This combo is cheaper and more comfortable in use, but i do not need in video recorder, so i will using pix-e5 only as a monitor. Does somebody use this combo? Will PIX-E5 works with bmpcc hdmi out? I think this combo will eat batterys quickly, so is it possible to get longer battery life if not recording video but just monitoring? Thank you!

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • I don't have a PIX-LR, but I can certainly plug my PIX-E5 into my BMPCC to confirm that the HDMI out works if that's all the help that you need.

And yeah, you're going to go through a lot of batteries. The BMPCC eats 'em fast and the PIX-E5 does too. I'm sure it'll be a little longer if used only as a monitor, but you're still gonna want a Santa Claus bag full of batteries. Is there a reason that you aren't considering a less expensive (but still decent) preamp? You could use a Tascam DR-70D and SmallHD and spend a lot less money than the PIX combo is gonna cost you.

• It would be great if you test it! For my bmpcc I use cheap and light powerbank which lasts for all shooting day. May be i can power both devices same way. Tascam is too big and not so good in terms of sound quality as Sound Devices. And it is not possible to use it handheld with Tascam 70d or same form factor devices. My goal is to make some light weighted and compact handheld rig with good onboard sound, at least 2 channels for lav mic and shotgun mic. I want to record good sound right in cam to avoid sync in post.

• @1917 Seems to work OK. I didn't do much more than plug in a cable and make sure that an image shows up. FWIW, the PIX-E5 weighs almost as much (without batteries or PIX-LR) as the DR-70D so you may still want to consider a smaller/lighter preamp. The Juicedlink ones are also not too bad.

IMG_5279.JPG
    800 x 600 - 113K
  • Thank you very much for your test and suggestions! I will think about other ways. It is not so many realy good quality alternatives in this segment, and i was not impressed by juicedlink tests uploaded on web, but did not try it by myself.

• PIX-E5 + PIX-LR would be the combo I would start using if I had a little more serious project. SD quality, preamps and especially limiters are worth it.

• @eatstoomuchjam Just read and saw some videos about the 5 frames delay on PIX-E5 screen. Is it still there? How are you living with it? Does somebody knows about same PIX-LR sound delay, or its line-out works withoud it?

• @1917 I'm guessing that the 5 frame delay exists on the screen, but the vast majority of the time when I'm using the external recorder, my camera is on a tripod and I don't notice it at all. When I'm going mobile, I'm more apt to use my A7RII and record 4K internally.

• @eatstoomuchjam I need it only as a monitor. Most of time I'm shooting handheld and i like to catch some movement in frame, so 5 frames could be uncomfortable lag. I just send letter to tech support, to ask about that lag, and possible future changes by firmware.

• Here is they answer, if somebody interested in:

On the input side there can be delay from the image sensor of the camera to the camera output, delay on the input side of the monitor/recorder as the image is processed before it's displayed. Any digital item in a chain will add a certain amount of delay, which is unfortunately the nature of digital signal processing. HMDI has a slightly more delay due to its processing than SDI. We try to keep the latency to the lowest level by disabling processing-using factors like scopes while recording. On the outputs of the PIX-LR you will have the same low delay as the audio takes the same digital way as the video signal. On the input of the L/R you can set the delay to the video signal, When you use those inputs for microphones for example. The delay of the PIX-E shouldn't be higher than 3-4 frames. And as I told before there will always be delays in DSP.

• I have made my first shooting with this combo (3.50 Firmware) and did not see any annoying lag. It seems that Video Devices guys fixed this problem. The lag is near the same as on bmpcc monitor. Sound of Pix-lr is realy nice, natural and noise free, but i need much better (and pricey) shotgun mic now (