Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
mpv player now able to replay V-Log and HDR content directly with tone-mapping
  • I thought I should mention here that my favourite video player software, mpv, was recently improved to be able to directly replay...

• V-Log video material, applying the inverse transformation on the fly, as well as tone-mapping and color-space conversion.
      This allows you to review video clips as recorded e.g. by a GH4R directly, without having to go through a lengthy "video editor software import / rendering cycle".
      For example, to replay this sample V-Log video file posted by a forum member earlier, you could use an mpv command line like this:

mpv --vf=format=gamma=v-log:colorlevels=full:primaries=v-gamut -vo opengl-hq:hdr-tone-mapping=clip SHOGUN_S001_S001_T008b.mov

... to obtain a video display like this:

• HDR (SMPTE-ST-2084) video, as used (along with BT.2020) on UHD BluRay discs and generated by the latest PC and game console GPUs (see here for sample files).
      As with V-Log, both the electro-optical transfer function and colorspace conversions are done on the fly, and tone-mapping helps to display the content well also on non-HDR-capable displays. Unlike V-Log, which is not detectable automatically whether being used in a video file, HDR content is detected automatically by mpv, and reasonable default parameters chosen for the transformation.

Please notice that both HDR and V-Log display transformation support are implemented in the OpenGL video output module of mpv, which is the default to use on Linux/Windows/Mac. If you use another video output module, these on-the-fly transformation features are not available.

See here for mpv binaries for different platforms.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • This is more advanced thing (for raw)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/15474/advanced-dng-player-for-cuda#Item_1

You can contact this guys, they seem to have most elements ready to add also V-Log support and playback of H.264 footage.