Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
My GH4 is anti social
  • First it used to talk to a ninja blade, then it stopped but would talk to friend's shogun, so I got an assassin and all was good, then i tried it with a BM Video Assist, it talked to that, then it stopped talking to that and now it won't talk to the assassin either. I don't know who has upset who but I think it's in need of therapy.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Well what do you expect? Poor thing has sensor envy. All of its peers walking are around with bigger sensors and it's feeling inadequate. I recommend a speed booster and telling it you love its images more often. A little appreciation goes a long way.

• @belfryman: I'm not sure whether you are asking a serious question here, but if it is "why does my GH4 not talk anymore to HDMI device X", then chances are you are experiencing "cable erosion". HDMI cables are notorious for (a) inconsistent and sometimes very poor manufacturing quality and (b) not providing adequate contact after even tiny amounts of mechanical impact to them.

Have you tried different cables?

• @karl thanks, I've given up on getting an answer after much exploration when it first stopped talking to the blade. Tried every possible setting, different cables and different devices and another gh4 which talked to everything and discovered it was happy to speak to a shogun, cables not a factor. Before I left for the shoot last week i tested it, found it wasn't working with a cable that it had worked with, tried another cable, fine, got to the gig, it wouldn't work with that cable either, or with the spare cable I'd brought which had previously been fine. Movement seems to be a key, it's after transportation it seems that it refuses to communicate with a device so I wonder if there's something loose in the gh4.@kristoferman you may be right as just got the jvc ls300, the gh4 may indeed be jealous.

• When HDMI cables start to lose contact its curiously often not any of the small data pins inside, but the shielding. Try to get cables where this outer part of the plug has "visible, ready-made intentional dents to the inside" that make the shielding contact more robust, also causing a somewhat tighter mechanical fit.

Also, of course, the shorter the cable, the less dampening/distortion is caused by it, so if possible, use shorter cables.

Another thing you can try: If both the HDMI sender emits a less-than-perfect signal and the receiver is not the finest, some in-between active HDMI switch/splitter might help, when it provides a better sender or receiver.

• @karl thanks, it's really not the cable, I've tried a million and they work with other devices, I found yesterday it will talk to the EVF over these cables, though the GH4 hdmi port does seem to be loose in some way, it's something quite peculiar going on between the atomos and the GH4, it is literally as if the GH4 puts it on a banned list! or maybe for some reason it's outputting a signal that the EVF reads but the atomos doesn't but there is no blink on the GH4 LCD monitor when the atomos is connected either, you know how you get that little, oh I'm connected, panic, breakdown, oh no, I can cope, I'm back, little thing it does. Thanks for the thoughts.

• Mystery solved, returned and faulty main PCB replaced, my GH4 is happy to talk to all sorts now.