Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's time to "RISE UP" in Lynchburg VA
  • Footage from the "RISE UP" ABS 13 Bouldering comp in Lynchburg VA. Shot with a hacked GH2 in 1080p @ 24 FPS mode with the "No Adverse Affects" settings.

All of the color scenes were shot in the Cinema color mode. Contrary to popular belief it actually offers the lowest noise because it is the least boosted of the color modes. However, it does require that you push the video up about 2/3s of a stop because it under exposes.

The smooth mode actually has the most noise of all of the color modes because it underexposes the RAW image by 1/3 of a stop and then boosts both the shadows and the highlights. This causes additional noise in the shadows and can blow out highlights. My opinion is that it is much better to record the compressed video as close to the RAW image as possible and then only boost the levels of the shadows in post instead of letting the camera boost everything automatically.

I have hopes that one day VK can create a hack that will let us boost only the shadow detail of the Cinema mode and leave the highlights untouched. Currently only the I.dynamic mode can boost the shadows and leave the highlights untouched. However, the I.dynamic mode only triggers if the video is severely underexposed with blown out highlights as well. That situation is nearly impossible to replicate indoors without any sunlight.

No adverse Affects hack settings.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place#Item_5

The B&W shots were done in B&W standard mode because it has the least amount of contrast added to it(Technically subtracted from it). The B&W smooth mode actually overexposes the image and then adds in excessive contrast. This is not ideal for low light indoor scenes.

All of the shots with extreme noise were at ISO 12,800. The light did not require that much exposure gain. However, I figured I would try it out.

Everything was shot at 1/50th of a second for 1080p and 1/120 for 720p. The slow motion shots were the only 720p shots.
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • Really like your videos.
    About I Dynamic and stuff. I am working on it.
    It is slow and paintful, but I hope to get results.
  • @Vitaliy

Take your time. I just want you to know that we all really appreciate your efforts. What you have done has really changed the way we all take videos.

However, I am interested in trying the new Panasonic firmware when it comes out in December. I take a lot of pictures and I use the RAW burst mode a lot. I also would rather shoot 1080p @ 30 FPS than 1080p @ 24 FPS for action shots. Therefore, I will definitely be willing to do any testing on that firmware from day one.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Your kids seem to really master this. I'm certain it's a lot harder than it looks.
    I like the look of the footage. Skintones look natural in what appears no ideal lighting.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thank you, Vitaliy.

• @johnnym

The only color editing I did was to add the 2/3 of a stop exposure gain and correction any of the white balance issues that the Auto WB encountered. Noise was a non issue with this footage mostly because of the 25mm F1.4. I was probably below ISO 800 almost the whole time even in this very dark environment.
  • @mpgxsvcd

I would never have told you shot wide open, cause the DOF is so long.
  • @johnnym

The 25mm still is a relatively wide lens so the depth of field is not that shallow. In addition it is a very small gym so there is no way to get any distance between the subject and the background.

There are several shots where I had to step closer to the climber. In those shots you can see that the depth of field does get pretty shallow.

I had all of my lenses with me but I actually forgot to try the 45mm F1.8. I just love the way the colors look with the 25mm F1.4. Therefore, I hardly ever take it off my camera. The only lens I swap it out for is the 14-140mm when there is substantial sunlight.
  • @mpgxsvcd

The above link to the "No Adverse Affects" settings is a dead end...
  • @mpgxsvcd awesome. your boy is amazing.

i wish there is a custom film mode where shadow and highlight can be adjusted independently where each setting can vary from -3 to +3.

e.g. -3 shadow setting to crush black. -3 highlight setting to roll off highlight.
  • @stonebat

I really wish I.dynamic was easier to control. Right now you have to underexpose the image to trigger it. I would love to just be able to say "turn it on this much and leave it on". I think in its current state it is too smart for its own good.