Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rowa Mic 109, utracheap stereo mike
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-MIC-109-3-5mm-MIC-jack-Stereo-Microphone-for-DSLR-Canon-Nikon-Sony-Pentax-/161665791530?hash=item25a408362a

I bought this the other day, I needed a very small compact mic for my OMD EM5 MKII. I saw a few reviews on youtube and it seems ok, I will only use it for picking up sounds and maybe in a pinch some dialogue. Anyone used one? They seem generic, with different names but ultimately they are the same mic.

If crap ill stump for a MKE400 but the sound seems thin and its expensive so am trying this budget option first.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Well, it is cheapest stereo mike, not very good, not very useful on camera (until you are recording background and do not want quality).

• How do you know unless you used it. I have a giant squid mic and it costs $50 and its sounds as good as mic costing 1000's or close enough.

• This clip while hilarious makes the mic seem pretty decent at least for my needs.

• How do you know unless you used it.

Because I checked similar cheap mikes (it uses electret small capsules around $0.2-0.5 each). They are intended for people making some home recordings without any quality requirement and close to subject.

I have a giant squid mic and it costs $50 and its sounds as good as mic costing 1000's or close enough.

Yes, yes, of course :-)

• It says "Rowa Japan, made in Taiwan".

• Ive seen exactly the same mic sold all over eBay with various different names. One guy has a website claiming he makes it, obviously BS. I think you could probably order a few hundred and get them to stick brianl mic on it I think. :)

Bottom line is I need a very small shotgun mic that can maybe pick up foley and at a pinch voices from 1-2 metres away. Options include Nikon ME-1 which is $150 and probably not any better than this one or going for a MKE400 which I find quite weak sounding and cost $250. So I just wanted to see if I could get away with this one. Most interviews I'm doing with a LAV so its just on the off chance people say something interesting on the fly.

I might test it and report back.

• Bottom line is I need a very small shotgun mic that can maybe pick up foley and at a pinch voices from 1-2 metres away.

It is NOT a shotgun mike :-)

And options for good (and real shotgun) on camera mikes are numerous, not 2 as you tell here.

• Did I say I need it to be be tiny? MKE400 is probably the best in class for this size.

• Did I say I need it to be be tiny? MKE400 is probably the best in class for this size.

You did, but with time you understand that I try to tell you here.

• If you want a stereo mic (for ambient) and do not want to spend much, pick up a Panasonic VMS10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-VW-VMS10-Stereo-Microphone-with-carrying-pouch-/231656297744

mike2.jpg
    624 x 508 - 86K
  • Takstar SGC-598 $27 Amazon- $32 ebay

• Thanks for the links. I;ve come to agree on the cheap mic i linked. I wish VK you would just say why you think something is crap and not be cryptic about it....then I could decide why I should or shouldn't buy something. I plan to buy the MKE400 soon cause its seems decent from youtube clips and also is small form which is my biggest requirement.

This for example seems to show a decent reach and sound.

• I've used both the mke400 and the rode videomicpro - the rode is better sounding. Now they've fixed their issues with the shock mount, that's the one I'd go for. Having said that, both of these are mono mics