Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Peter Jackson Shares New Video From The Hobbit Set
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • I'm curious to see the 48p 3d 5k in an imax theater :P I liked the lord of the rings and i loved the first peter jackson's movies.
    However.... 48 red epic :P... lucky guy
  • I have to second that: WOW!

Thats the technical most interesting insight in actual state of the art film making in many month.

I think the biggest advance will be the 48 fps. A lot of people were bitching about 24 fps beeing the only way ever...which I think is just wrong. I hope Peter with a movie built from scratch for 48 fps will prove that.

And this to guys making set drawings side-by-side in 3D are just absolutely crazy ;-)
  • And i ask myself how much useful can it be....
  • I was wondering of most cinemas are actually capable of playing 48p, this will be a first in the industry.
  • I'm really looking forward to this movie, the scale of it is off the charts! The thing about increasing the red in skintones and oversaturating the colors in real life and the fabric just cause of how the camera behaves is interesting.
  • 4k 48p is future-proof just in case such TV becomes cheap. I guess 3D demands more attentions on skintones and saturation calibration. By the way I'm gonna name my GH1, GH2, and GF3... like Dopey, Grumpy, Happy.
  • Talk about a good promo for Red there!
    If the 3D ends up looking like shit then it'll be a epic fail (pun maybe intended) and will all theatres get on board with this?
    A lot of money is being thrown at this new tech hard to tell if it'll pay off in the long run as the 3D fad is waning.

Off topic saw Tin tin the other day...it had a starwars 3D trailer beforehand...looked like shit! Everything looked like cardboard cutouts placed in front of each other.
    As for Tin tin...started off great then proceeded to jab you in the face with its 3Dness and put story,character development secondary...I was bored by the end.
    This is the problem with a lot of 3D films.

I hope The Hobbit 1 & 2 does not end up like a tech demo rather than decent films.
    LOTR trilogy are great flaws and all.
  • 30p always looks wrong to me. However i cannot imagine Jackson, who is i think one of the most interesting directors of all time, would use 48fps without checking the consequences thoroughly.

@mimirsan
    I think Jackson has proven to use technology functionally and supporting the story. He's really a storyteller.
  • Just LOVE the line: "3D is now so easy"

Hehehehe,...haha..hehe (especially easy when you have dual camera heads with 6 degrees of freedom computer controlled with a f__koff rig etc...)
  • @johnnym
    Have you seen King kong and Lovely bones? lol
  • Excellent.

• Love the linear motion rails...

• One word,

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE.

• must be amazing working on something like that

• must be amazing working on something like that

Fun thing is that I, for example, hate such films.
    It is much more interesting to work and talk with real guys, who are hard working, inventing something, creating something. This are real heroes of real movies, not the fucking hobbits.

• I saw creation, invention and hard work in there. sure, there are resources available to make it happen more smoothly or make it more comfortable during times of rest, but that does not belittle the process.

• Yeah, Jackson has also been very instrumental in the production/feedback of the Epic line.

• @Ambergris

I am not talking about process. I am talking about things film is about. And Hobbit is just giant waste of time. Entertainment.

• I agree. This is a film meant to be consumed. Is it being made by talented, brilliant people? Yes. Is it art? Maybe.

• i had to stop at 2nd video after the giant rail they made to get to location, its too much for me more more more bigger bigger bigger faster faster faster. it never ends. wwtolkiendo? ha.

• uuuuoaw what a nice independent movie(film?) dealing with important issues of today. what a f*@#ing Waste of Epic proportions! reminds me- not exact quote of one W.Wenders books"the more the special effects etc, the less the meaning and content. the fallout of this is that people are getting sick of this kind of stuff and are looking elsewhere, look at the rise of interest in documentaries etc..." in this sense, good there are movies like this i guess... entertainment you say...well, one needs to be very easily amused...but that's where we are headed anyway :\

• Art is about transforming people, about healing people. LOTR means a lot to millions of people. It would be wise not to take them for morons. If you want to point a finger do it at something that makes everyone sick, like a corrupted press or media or politcs, not LOTR for god's sake. If you hate it, just shut up and let everyone have their pleasure. What harm could it possibly do? And why the arrogance?

• Why all the Hobbit haters?...I personally have found memories of this book. Its a better story "In my opinion" than LOTR-

Plus it will be cool to see something shot at a MODERN frame rate of 48.... why we(filmmaker types) still cling to a visually limited frame rate based on technology from the 1920s is beyond me. the cost is hardly a factor anymore thanks to cheap drives...

On a side note...

I'm personally not a huge fan of 3d though as it rarely servers to better the story -Harlod and Kumar Xmas-oddly enough- is a rare example of this as it was actually used as part of the humor and was worked INTO the story/script...