Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Wedding advice
  • I got a wedding im takin photos for on the 15th for about 50 people for few hours, I ordered a Benro Monopod and One of those G eye cups for my gh4, that should help out But All i got is the 14-140mm kit lens and the 7.5mm rokinon fisheye. Do you guys think I can get away with using the 14-140mm the whole time without getting bad low light shots with alot of noise in it?

thanks

only option thats realistic would be to get a 50mm 1.7 off KEH and get an adapter.

got 4 batteries, and 128gb , 64gb, 32gb and a 16gb sd cards I think that will be good.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • What is wrong with Olympus 45mm? Fast and sharp, much better than old 50s, and with AF.

• Id love to get it, Dont have the cash.

• @jclmedia

May be rent it or similar lens? As I am not sure about 50mm manual lens on cheap adapter and all being used in wedding rush.

• I'd rent an olympus 45mm and a 20mm or 25mm. You NEED autofocus. You don't really need a monopod for photos.

• ok well Dont think ill be able to rent one by the 15th. thanks for info.

• must agree, the 45mm olympus is my go to lens for gh4 wedding videos, sharp n bright and nice focal length

• yeah this is just photos for few hours, i think i should be fine.

• well the weddings tomorrow , got the 20mm 1.7 , 14-140mm, 4 batteries, 4 sd cards 128gb,64gb,32gb and 16gb. also a benro monopod . only thing I think I would need is a battery grip and flash. I can make do with what I have tho. btw whats the price most photographers charge for a full day of wedding photos?

• heres the pics. let me know yours thoughts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonlindquist/

• My main critiques would be lighting and getting the details. The ambient light was a mixed bag that sometimes worked, other times it worked against you. The shot by the cake needed a fill light, obviously, so you could see their faces. Watch out for extreme lighting contrast foreground to background and how it affects both the exposure and the overall mood of the photo (underexposed subjects against brighter backgrounds tend not to work. Blowing out the background to compensate may or may not work). Definitely get a flash so you can control contrast better. As far as details are concerned, you could have had more closeups of details, especially of the guests. Look for people smiling, laughing, crying, acting goofy and get in close or zoom in for a memorable shot. That's the primary duty of a wedding photog: to capture the fleeting emotions of the day. Next time, have an eagle eye for emotions and a trigger finger always ready to grab the moment. You did a competent job with this job, which is to be expected. Build from this and future shoots and you'll see your images improve in time.

• Also, don't ever shoot the wedding gown inside its dry cleaning bag. Take it out and try hanging it next to a daylit window. Make sure to expose so it looks white, not grayish. If you're shooting raw, which you should be, you can fine tune the shot later so all the detail in the dress is visible, not burned out.

• thank you for your advice, A flash is next on my list. I also did shoot raw, Someone on dvxuser told me I should Raise exposure and make wb warmer for some of the family pics.

• I have a Metz flash made for Panasonic cameras (I think it's Model AF-48 but, it's off site so I can't confirm). I bought it off ebay for ca. $110. I have only used it a few times and it is a basic model but worked great on my G1, GH2 and GH4.

• awesome, thanks for the info I was jus bout to ask.

• In my opinion, Panasonic flash FL500 is the best solution. You can take advantage of ttl, A and M mode. I use it on a side bracket, in A mode, connected to the lateral flash connector. I decided to do so because it is the only way to make it fire if you take picture bursts. And it works very well.

• I just checked I have the Metz AF-48 for Oly/Panasonic. I had to use it once in a pinch when my Nikon ran out of juice and I was surprised at how fast it recycled. Some users on B&H reported that too in their reviews: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532280-REG/Metz_MZ_48316OP_mecablitz_48_AF_1_TTL.html I think it'll do TTL A & M mode too, but don't take my word for it, do your research. I think it was replaced by the AF-50 model a few years ago.

There's one on eBay now for $85 buy-it-now, they can be had at good prices & Metz is a quality German brand, as far as I know.

• ok cool thanks, Im plannin on getting the PL 15mm 1.7 and that flash hopefully for my bday.

is it controlled by the hotshoe or some other way, sorry for noob question I dont usually use a flash.

• Some pics look nice and some don't but great job for a first timer.

The first time is usually a big learning experience and you can't get better if you don't just jump in and try.

Just try different compositions and see what you like (wide, normal, tight) usually you want a variety of shots of people at different compositions. A lot of your people shots show the whole body. That is good, you can crop some I guess and get tighter shots. You have some tighter shots from about waist up which is good. And you should have some shots even tighter that show only shoulders and above.

Some of the shots of people outside in the grass are not at their eye level. They were shot a bit lower. This gives a more uneasy feeling. You want as much photos of people to be almost directly at their eye level unless you are purposefully using it for effect of making them look bigger or smaller.

As for details you usually want to highlight what looks nice (decor, ribbons, flowers, gift boxes in your case) and not show the not so nice details (the plastic white chairs for example and the gown in the plastic bag). So most likely you should be better off shooting stuff closeup like your shot of the flowers on the table. Usually wedding photographeres have a macro lens with them so you see the small intricate decor but as long as you shoot some closeup using a normal lens you should be good.

Enjoy and you'll get better at this quickly.

Good job man.