Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Downscale ????
  • So basically I watched on youtube ect. How to downscale my godamn footage from my fasf80ey*()# gh4, so im really frustrated and upset that I cant even figure this out right now.

What do i have to do correctly to do this????????????

I Import the 4K file from Desktop to Adobe Creates New 4K timeline, Then I Goto seq. settings change it to 1920 x 1080 it seems to work fine then I goto Ad a LUT with lumetri or what ever and add other s*%t and the whole thing gets messed up. Meaning Its zoomed in wayyyyyy too much .

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Effect Controls -> Scale -> 50%

Also why are you editing 4K in 1080p? Just export it to 1080p when your rendering at the end.

• ok ill just try rendering it out as 1080p. Btw what bitrate should I use? I filmed it all in 4K cinema mode on my gh4.

thanks

• @geoffcbassett what's wrong with editing in 1080? Just curious . I've just started editing 4k and have tried it both ways. If I just drop a 4k video on a 1080 time line and scale to size or crop, I can't see any difference in the finished product than editing in straight 4k. What am I missing?

• There should be very little quality difference. The reason pertains to workflow.

The program has to downscale to 1080p then Render in the preview window. If you ever want to show the project in 4K its an absolute pain to re scale every clip on the timeline and copy it to a new sequence. So it's better to edit on a 4K timeline an just render out the resolution you desire.

• Good point....thanks!

• I'll try this method, I always thought the timeline should always be in the same resolution as the final export.

• guys have i been adding luts to footage wrong? I jus drag lumetri onto the clip and apply the lut, in this youtube clip this guy ads an adjustment layer then does that on the adjustment layer.

• In Edius you can change the resolution of the whole project, as long as the fps stay the same. If you film im 4K 25p you can edit in 720/25p or 1080 25p and afterwards change the whole project back to 4K 25p. Takes only a few minutes (but depends of course on the size of the project) Then you can render it out in any resolution you want. Only text, if you have made some in the video, has to be adapted

• @jclmedia:

You can do it both ways, none of them is more right than the other. Doing it on an adjustment layer makes it much easier, as you only have to ad the LUT once. That on the other hand assumes - for the most part - that you have balanced all your clips well in the first place. In the end it is a question of personal preferences.

• @AKED Do you know if this can be done premiere pro too? Sounds interesting...

• @soulkeeper Sorry, I only work with Edius and have no idea if premiere can do it too. But you are right. It is interesting

This way you can edit 4K on a relatively weak computer.

• says 1920x1013 in seq prev, When I do 1920x1080 export I get the black lines above and below when i do 1920x1012 I get normal look.

• Hi Cinema 4k is slightly wider than 16x9 ratio so downscaling C4k to fit in 1920x1080 will result in black bars TOP and BOTTOM of screen. If you don't want black bars top and bottom then shoot in 4k UHD (16x9) and that will FILL the whole frame with NO black bars When down scaling.

• I shot 1 project in C4k on the GH4, I think the aspect ratio was 1.85:1. Wikipedia says it's actually 1.90:1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

• Hmm interesting ok, So the black bars will show up on youtube vimeo ect?

• Based on my experience with vimeo:

Yes: black lines in C4k mode if you export as 1920x1080. No: if you export as 1920x1012 AND Vimeo/YT will display that aspect ratio. In my experience Vimeo can do that.

BUT, for all practical purposes, if you can live with a little bit of black bars top & bottom, a 1920x1080 output of your project will save you headaches if you ever have to go back to the footage and incorporate it into another project...