Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best hack and settings for chromakey
  • I am looking for advice and recommendations for shooting talking head interviews on green chromakey using fancier 500 single color led. Hack, film mode, white balance, etc. thanks
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • Next I expect to see "Best hacks for shooting my wife on a beech" :-)
  • You read my mind, but it is not my wife but my uncle, if you think that makes a difference.
  • You can do research on filmmodes, white balance, and hacks. Then just run some tests with your specific light. There's no one single answer, as you will have to decide what looks good to you.

A more useful thread would be about chroma-keying / green screen & blue screen and the hacks in general (unless one already exists!).
  • I don't know much about the GH1 hack but wasn't is 4:2:2 in one of the settings? That should've been good for keying.
  • GH2 is still 4:2:0, so its still very limiting in its usefulness. I've played around at 176mb with it.
  • I shot some green screen for my current short film...I used a Sony hx9 and the ultrakey app in prem pro...no high bitrate hack...no 422 colour.
    Worked perfectly fine.
    If you make sure there is a clear contrast between your subject and screen...lit well enough then its not a big problem.
  • The 4:2:0 Colorspace can be limiting but at least you don't have to deal with the line skipping artefacts that you get from the Canons. Get your footage as neutral as possible to keep edge artefacts down and as clean as possible (absolutely no sharpening). Banding can be a pain so light your green screen as evenly as you can. Try to stage your talent as far away from the green screen to keep spill to a minimum.
    If you can keep the screen slightly out of focus range this will help even out the colour. Of course if your using tracking markers this may not be an option.

Basically the same rules apply wether your using a gh2 or a Red. And believe me. Poorly shot 4k can be just as much of a pain to key as anything else.
  • @onepointsixtwo there is a saying in the compositing world: Greenscreening just lets you know where to cut.

I have seen professional footage where an actor has been shot 'outside' of the greenscreen area... go figure.