Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mic decision help?
  • I got the gh4 , Im wondering what you guys recommend me to get for a decent mic for the Gumball3000 Rally this upcoming week. I used to have the VMP but sold it , now I have the Choice of buying a used one of a guy in SF for $160 or buy a new VMP GO from a camera store in SF for $100.

what do you guys recommend i do? Ill also be renting a voigtlander 25mm lens when Im in Sf as well for $55 for 4 days.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Just as a hint: There´s now coming up the new version of the VMP, with a new capsule (better sensitivity / less noise) and the rycote shockmount system (which is way better than the rubber bands of the original VideoMic Pro). IF you plan to get it, don´t oversee, that it´s now also a little bit bigger. So don´t order a deadcat (which was designed for the original VMP) - They just don´t fit anymore ^^.

I think in general the VMP (or now the "VMPR" Rycote version) is more or less the best & least complex solution (if you don´t want to carry around an external recorder and / or a bigger directional mic - AND if you want to feed the audio directly into your camera). On the other hand: If you want to go externaly (or if you want to invest more), you could also check out the new RODE NTG4 or NTG4+ (the "+" is coming with an internal rechargeable battery) - Plus a compatible recorder ^^. You could even try to use the NTG4+ and feed it directly into your camera (maybe with a voltage control / XLR to 3.5mm adapter inbetween). Though I don´t know, if it can provide enough signal strength for a direct feed (or to use it with a passive volume regulator and / or XLR to 3.5mm Adapter inbetween). ^^

LG

• Yeah don't go for the Rode GO if you have any bigger budget at all. A used VMP makes more sense, or the newer version if you can afford that.

• ok thanks ill get the vmp then for $160.

• New AT8024 may be worth to check it out

• I've been happy with the NT4 straight into the GH4. My NT4 came with a cable with 3.5mm plug and the mic can be battery powered in lieu of phantom power.

• found even better deal on a vmp with deadcat for $120.

• I too am very happy with SE electronics Promic laser.

tested it against VMP and it excelled. great definition I use it on gh2 with level 1 or 2 recording and if sound is too hot you can switch -10db attenuator, which is very practical, also the low cut is very effective for taking care of most if not all handling noise.

• Got the mic but I cant seem to get the foam on the windscreen or vice versa any suggestions? lol besides having to cut the foam or the windscreen so it will fit? I have two of the winscreens the Black one and a grey one

• @JLemos Would SE ELectronic Promic Laser mounted on GH4 good for interview ? I am using 12-35 mm Pana

• @jclmedia: So you got the original VideoMic Pro - Right?
    Not the new rycote edition. Which windscreens do you have now exactly?
    Btw.: Most of the windscreens are quite tight on the foam ^^.

LG

• Yeah the VideoMic Pro, No I got it used off a kid for $170 came with 2 Dead cats the Black one and then this silver/white one that isnt as good he said. the Foam was missing so i ordered it off B&H for $11. It was kinda hard to get it on there but it is a tight squeeze like you said. looks like its fine now tho wish it went over the back of the mic alittle but its good for now.

• @tinbeo - whatever mic you use, it will need to come off the camera and onto a mic stand

• i was thinking to add some kind of splitter to the camera. plug in an on-camera mic such as VMP, then also plug in a lav (wired or wireless) when i need to do an interview. this would avoid having to remove the on-camera VMP and put it onto a mic stand to get it closer to the person. anyone done this?

• @mrbill in a gun and run situation here -;) , not a sit-down interview

• I got SE Electronic today its brighter and more omni then VMP also has better mount. VMP wins for me.