Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Geothermal energy
  • New research from the Southern Methodist University Geothermal Laboratory, funded by a grant from Google.org, documents significant geothermal resources across the United States capable of producing more than three million megawatts of green power – 10 times the installed capacity of coal power plants today.

http://www.smu.edu/News/2011/geothermal-24oct2011.aspx
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • Cool. That would kill green energy stocks.
  • @LPowell

I see extra big problems with such reports, because such geothermal evergy calculations are highly doubtful and history of US geothermal stations are all but optimistic.
  • In fact we've had a good, long run with geothermal here in CA:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/geothermal/

1800 installed, consistant magawatts.
  • Yep, just dig slightly deeper.
    I happen to see big doc about US stations and talked with one guy who did similar things in Russia.
    Such things are not a solution. All of them have constant problems (in fact such energy is not "green renewable energy", because most of such places deplate same as oil fields).
  • What was the name of the doc? I'd like to check the source (I've worked on many and not all docs are fact), and who was the expert you spoke with.

The CA result is now many, many decades old and very reliable. It's not a huge solution for the world, but it's a piece of the puzzle... .and 1800 magawatts is two big nukes worth of power.

• @cosimo_bullo

I strongly suggest you to stop going to personal confrontation. This is last warning. Don't go this way.

About doc, I do not remember it's exact name because it had been few years ago.
    Doc had quite good depiction of all the problems, depicting many shutted down plants (due to depletion you can't have enough stream pressure) and many other problems. General conclusion had been that it is not workable alternative. In any way.
    About guy who I talked to, he is PhD who worked on one of similar stations (they have many differencies anyway).