Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
24mm F1.4 Sigma Art lens

Specs

• Price - $849

Sigma Corporation of America, a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider of some of the world's most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, today announced the new Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art lens, the ninth Global Vision lens to join the company’s iconic Art line-up. The announcement comes at the start of the CP+ Camera and Photo Imaging Show 2015, which begins on Feb. 12 in Yokohama, Japan.

The much anticipated 24mm F1.4 Art wide angle lens is designed for full-frame DSLRs, and when used on digital cameras with an APS-C size image sensor, it effectively becomes a 38mm. The lens is ideal for capturing a variety of photography subjects, including cityscapes, mountain ranges, astrophotography and weddings and is great for videography work as well. The 24mm also excels at indoor photography in low illumination thanks to the combination of exceptional focal plane sharpness, and gorgeous bokeh rendered by nine rounded aperture blades. The lens achieves a maximum magnification of 1:5.3 with a minimum focusing distance of 9.8 inches. The 24mm incorporates both "F" Low Dispersion (FLD) glass and Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass in a design of 15 elements in 11 groups to minimize chromatic aberration of magnification especially in the edge of the image field. Moreover, the optimized power layout includes aspherical elements that are positioned in the rear of the lens for improved wide open performance. This helps to ensure minimal distortion through the correction of axial chromatic aberration and sagittal coma flare. The new lens element design also delivers excellent peripheral brightness.

“The Sigma Art lenses are recognized by photographers for world-class performance, and the new 24mm F1.4 DG HSM will be a significant contribution to our selection of fast aperture prime lenses which is quickly becoming a strong force in the industry” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “Sigma is redefining the expectations of fast-aperture full-frame prime lens performance, especially wide-open, and the results the 24mm F1.4 will deliver will be up to the exacting standards set by the 35mm F1.4 DG HSM and 50mm F1.4 DG HSM .”

Other updates to this lens include a new full-time manual focusing mechanism that switches to manual focusing, simply by rotating the focus ring, even when AF is being used, first introduced on the 50mm Art. This allows the photographer to make focus adjustments quickly and easily. As with all new lenses under the Global Vision categories, every 24mm will be tested using Sigma’s own MTF measuring system, “A1,” in the company’s factory in Japan.

Other lenses in the Art line include 35mm F1.4 DG HSM, 30mm F1.4 DC HSM, 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM, 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM, 50mm F1.4 DG HSM, 19mm F2.8 DN, 30mm F2.8 DN and 60mm F2.8 DN.

The 24mm F1.4 is compatible with Sigma’s USB dock, allowing photographers to update the lens’ firmware and change focus parameters as well as manual focus over-ride using Sigma's Optimization Pro software. It is also compatible with Sigma’s Mount Conversion Service. The lens will be available in Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts, and timing, pricing and availability will be announced at a later date.

samsung_nx535.jpg
    640 x 454 - 36K
  • 18 Replies sorted by
  • bokehmaster. Love my 18-35 and 50mm art, need this 24 and the 35, and future 85 ;)

• The Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM is another very fast, tack-sharp prime lens in Sigma's excellent Art series. It exhibits low chromatic aberrations and very little barrel distortion while being able to focus as close as 25cm.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_24mm_f1_4_dg_hsm_review/

This 24mm f/1.4 delivers high levels of sharpness, with low distortion and CA, is built well and is reasonably priced. As a result, it is well worth considering if you’re in the market for a fast wide angle lens.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-24mm-f-1-4-dg-hsm-a-review-27223

phantom42.jpg
    678 x 484 - 58K
  • Is anybody here using this lens for videography? I am especially interested in using it as Nikon mount, does the manual focussing turn "Canon" like or "Nikon" like (the other way round) - interestingly, my Sigma 18 - 35 Nikon version manually focusses the "Canon" way.

How long is the manual focus throw - I am afraid it is very short like for many photography lenses? For example, my Sigma 18-35 is absolutely OK - would it be comparable?

• This is an absolutely smashing lens. Focus throw is good.

Mine is Canon mount and focuses Cine-direction (like canon).

Rotation is more than the 18-35.

You will not regret this lens.

• Great answer @bannedindv, thanks!

At f1.4 it's very sharp in the center, but the DX-corner is mushy and the FX-corner is hazy and shows coma although you can see more details than in the DX-corner. Focus was optimized separately for each crop as there is some slight field-curvature. Stopping down to f2.0 brings the center to excellent sharpness while the DX- and FX-corner don't improve much. The DX-corner needs stopping down to f5.6 to achieve good sharpness while the FX-corner improves visibly from f2.8 onwards.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sigma_24mm_f1-4_DG_HSM_Art/

zebra552.jpg
    800 x 531 - 85K
  • New lens firmware

This firmware allows compatibility with Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function to enable correction matching the optical characteristics of each lens. It also corrects the phenomenon that abnormal images appear or operation errors occur when the function is enabled. This firmware also corrects the phenomenon whereby the continuous shooting speed decreases in certain combinations with some cameras when used with the 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | Art for Canon, and the phenomenon whereby the AF speed occasionally becomes unstable when used with the 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary for Canon.

For customers who own the SIGMA USB DOCK and applicable products listed below, please update the firmware via SIGMA Optimization Pro. Before updating the firmware using the SIGMA USB DOCK, please ensure to update SIGMA Optimization Pro to Ver. 1.4.1 or later for Windows, and Ver. 1.4.0 or later for Macintosh.

Applicable Products

• SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art for CANON
    • SIGMA 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art for CANON
    • SIGMA 24mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art for CANON
    • SIGMA 12-24mm F4 DG HSM | Art for CANON
    • SIGMA 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art for CANON

Benefits of the Update

It has ensured compatibility with Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function, which enables correction matching the optical characteristics of the attached lens.* It has corrected the phenomenon that abnormal images appear or operation errors occur when Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function is enabled.

• Compatible Canon camera models:EOS-1DX mark II, EOS 5Ds, EOS 5Ds R, EOS 5D mark IV, EOS 6D mark II, EOS 80D, EOS 8000D(EOS Rebel T6s, EOS 760D), EOS 9000D(EOS 77D) , EOS Kiss x8i(EOS Rebel T6i, EOS 750D), EOS Kiss x9i(EOS Rebel T7i, EOS 800D), EOS Kiss x9(EOS Rebel SL2, EOS 200D)

https://www.sigma-global.com/jp/download/lenses/sigma-optimization-pro/