Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
french video clip after terrorist attack - Liberté de penser (Freedom of thought)
  • Shooted with 2 XDCAM (ENG broadcast), one F3 Sony, one GH2, one GH4.

This is a German song dating from the 18th century which speaks of "freedom of thought" to which everyone is entitled. This song is very famous in Germany, and it is sung in Alsace to defend freedom of expression for more than 40 years.

Everybody was here for free (Budget production : 0 euros except tee shirts !), all stuff is provided "free" by video local companies.

There are "local stars" singing but also anonymous, all from the Alsace region, which is close to Germany. The project rose to power following the terrorists attacks, to tell everyone that freedom of thought is fundamental to live well together.

I've only had five days to organize everything, of course I did not have a budget, but the shock of the attacks created a mobilization and so I definitely got more that if I had the money ! The shooting and editing were held in stride. As the video editing was done with support from "France 3 Alsace", the regional TV channel, the film is in DV PAL! Indeed they still broadcast in this format, so they are not equipped in HD...

Color calibration was done in a hurry and with means of the edge. It is certain that the cameras mixture is an aberration, but I had no choice with time allotted to me ...

The video clip was broadcast in the local television news therefore, but also on the web, and post placed on facebook tallied 200,000 views in 48 hours which is really okay for a local music video!

well it's kind of our "we are the world":-)

In a few days, a free concert will be held, 5,000 spectators are expected. I will realize then live concert uptake (7 cameras with a crane), which will be broadcast live on the web, then it will be released after video editing a week later on regional TV channel.

• 21 Replies sorted by
  • freedom...in france ?....or anywhere else ? ...excuse me but people are simply too brainwashed to realize exactly what IS freedom of expression.

...so why was the charlie hebdo cartoonist who made an anti jewish cartoon fired in 2009, if CH was about freedom of expression ?

....and soooo free that you might consider that your intelligence services were intricately involved with the event . You know what they say....dead men tell no tales

• So what's your definition of freedom of expression? @kurth

• @gabilourson

Looks good.

My problem with such freedom of speech is that it is not about freedom of speech, as whole Charlie thing was organized and staged by elites. So, freedom of speech movement here was to show different, opposing few to this mass hysteria.

• @mrbill....freedom of speech doesn't insult others. And if so, does it equally to all, which the silly charlie hebdo didn't do. Charlie Hebdo is/was owned by the rothschilds. It had an anti-muslim agenda obviously targeting french lower uneducated class. Why did they fire the cartoonist who made an anti jewish cartoon ? Do you think the french would have marched to support a holocaust denier ? And as V said, it was an intelligence operation like many before...i.e. operation gladio, meant to nudge france into line. France was getting a little uppity. They called for a palestinian state and the end to sanctions against russia. anyone falling for the official story is only promoting propaganda.

• "freedom of speech doesn't insult others" @kurth The first questions every people must ask first before saying such stupidity are:

1. What is freedom?
    2. What is speech?
    3. Can freedom of speech insult?
    4. if yes, where is the place of the being outside of the thought? Which give us two more questions
      1. Who can insult?
      2. Who is insulted? And obviously:
    5. How is an insult avoidable (from multiples point of view of course and not just the one "I" or as in french we say "moi je".)

Interesting video nevertheless.

• @GeoffreyKenner

I think you missed his point. As thing that he wanted to say is that freedom of speech has the purpose - obtaining different, opposing views that can have benefit to whole society. Society and law also makes difference between such views expressions and just cursing or insults.

• @GeoffreyKenner

You say my "stupidity" and in the same post ask what is freedom and what is speech. Give me a break !

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I assume I did miss his point, indeed, which is why I asked the questions and added an almost pointless word ("stupidity") which wasn't randomly placed here but linked to the 4th and 5th one just to see what would happen. @kurth I merely tried to push you to give a definition of freedom of speech that mrbill asked, which, I was curious to know too. I obviously already have an idea, it's not for me I'm doing it don't you think :p ?

• I believe I gave my definition in the first sentence. A free persons freedoms only exists in so far as they don't protrude on the freedom of others. And as stated ...what did charlie hebdo have to do with free expression ? If charlie hebdo is the pinnacle of free expression, it illustrates how low humanity's standards have fallen. It was an agenda to insult mulims, nothing more. When one of their cartoonist drew a cartoon insulting jews he was swiftly shown their door, illuminating their agenda. And interesting in this debate is the arrest of Dieudonne for saying " as far as I'm concerned I feel I am Charlie Coulibaly". If the french were so concerned about loosing freedom of expression, they certainly lost sight of their goal.

• It was an agenda to insult mulims, nothing more.

Not only :-) You can check their issues :-) But jews can't be insulted, of course. :-)

• The video looks good, and I applaud your efforts, however I found the performance somewhat disturbing. It just looks lifeless and mechanical. Everyone is wearing the same T-shirt, Je suis Conformiste? Rock Stars sing about ending poverty and hunger in Africa. Everyone feels good singing, while corporations and governments continue creating poverty and hunger in Africa! As governments around the world crackdown on freedom after Charlie Hatedo and wage war in the name of freedom, people sing about how nice freedom is. It's like singing about how wonderful vacations are on the deck of the Titanic while it sinks!

Music on Command

From the time the first concentration camps were established in 1933, camp guards routinely ordered detainees to sing while marching or exercising or during punishment actions. This was done to mock, humiliate and discipline the prisoners. .....

...they had to sing songs of symbolic value to individual detainee groups in order to humiliate them. For example, communists and social democrats were ordered to sing labour movement songs; those who were religious were ordered to sing religious songs relating to their denomination.

http://holocaustmusic.ort.org/places/camps/

• I never understood how liberals defend Islam and how they could support "freedom of speech" as long as it didn't offend anyone... Thats an oxymoron. Let's be real and think clearly, does Islam think that YOU should have freedom of speech. Nope. Especially if your a female. And I don't understand the Jew bashing from the left. Do you ever see a Jew strapping a bomb to their body and detonating it in a crowd of innocent people in the name of their god? Nope. Why are we so afraid of calling a duck a duck when it exhibits so many qualities of one?

• @ewstrobe2009 - Who's defending islam ? And who's on the left ? But apparently you're falling for their anti-islam propaganda. Actually islam and judaism are twin brothers. They even believe in slaughtering animals for food by the same superstitions. Abel and Cain. And I certainly wasn't "jew bashing" ...however you might research israeli terrorist actions since it's formation in 1948. Apparently they have no problem when innocent people get killed as long as it furthers their zionist dreams. The dichotomy I proposed was that if the french think freedom of speech should include insulting islam, then they should support holocaust deniers using the same principle. However what we see in the real world is some countries even outlawing the criticism of israeli political policies. And that's interesting esp. since israel has over a million people more or less imprisoned in a camp, and this after they stole their land. And , whenever I get into this type of argument, I love to post this -

• I never understood how liberals defend Islam and how they could support "freedom of speech" as long as it didn't offend anyone... Thats an oxymoron. Let's be real and think clearly, does Islam think that YOU should have freedom of speech. Nope. Especially if your a female. And I don't understand the Jew bashing from the left. Do you ever see a Jew strapping a bomb to their body and detonating it in a crowd of innocent people in the name of their god? Nope. Why are we so afraid of calling a duck a duck when it exhibits so many qualities of one?

I wonder what kind of water do you drink?

...my little brother for whom I would give my soul to the devil and who's much smarter and skilled than me (not difficult really) has also started to use this nonsensical butter-brained discourse and it saddens me beyond words. Then I realised that his "group" had big interests in Israel; cannot really talk but it's absolutely unbelievable how deep and wide spread that network goes. I just hope it is not contagious 'cause it truly is a shame to witness such blindfold words, to hear a sensible, educated and compassionate being predicate like that, wrapping up righteous BS after BS in apparently coherent ideas and humanist ideals - I have given up to try and have a dialog, it's unidirectional...

BTW I'm german and sephardi jew descendant, one of those whose families (which includes Theodor Adorno) lost absolutely all during III reich... the ones who managed to escape CCamps. My grand grandfather opened the first cinemas in Frankfurt but never got out of Germany. My grandma died screaming "the nazis, they're coming, they're coming!!" - I know 'cause I was next to her.

But just to be clear I plainly refuse to be part of the hypocritical nest of lies behind the freedom of speech slogan. It is not needed super brain to smell the crap they've being feeding us since forever. Connect the dots (it is not a cat). Just dig a bit deeper that the fucking media's sugar crust... and for christ fucking sake man, open your upper eyes, start thinking by your own means and wake up!

• ...an appropriate time for a great doc -

• A great doc about a crazed ideolog, lolz To be fair, I didn't watch the doc, but I do know if the fella He's good buds with another fringe ideolog, Chomsky I do not deny that media outlets of all types censor there broadcasts, especially here in the u.s. I'm glad I'm agnostic and don't have to close my mind to one such way of thinking

• "A free persons freedoms only exists in so far as they don't protrude on the freedom of others" @kurth You're reciting the conditions before telling what it is. And it's a little slim, some philosopher have dedicated hundred of pages to that simple word, one sentence isn't going to give us much material to work on especially when it's subtracted from empirical knowledge. We need new concept, not old thoughts that have centuries and proved to have failed.

• Elites need a scapegoat to deflect people's anger ...

• Polish reporter in US. See how it is:

• ...isis was created, just like al cia duh by the intelligence services to scare the boogeyman. I've never seen so much ignorance about world events. And put a camera in your hands, you people are dangerous !

and ewstrobe...if you're politically agnostic, I could lay hen's eggs !

and geoffrey....we have all kinds of limits on free of speech. They're called slander , libel etc. Also offensive speech can be construed as assault in many countries. There was nothing about free speech in CH 's cartoons. They were simply offensive. Any libertarian will define freedom by defining it's limitations. You're free to do, say, write anything as long as it doesn't protrude on the freedom of others. It's a simple enough concept. If someone wanted to really criticize islam or any other religion, they would actually need to know something about it, and that takes commitment. CH was ignorance baiting fools. You see , the fascist governments in power , mainly led by the US, need fools to blindly hate islam to justify their criminal wars. So they use childish tricks to play with childrens minds. It doesn't say much for people intelligence awareness quotient.

• ^not politically. Its impossible to be politically neutral, everyone has an opinion. I'm religiously agnostic.