Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Deciding on lens for "speedboosted" (w/ speedbooster) m43 camera
  • I am deciding between lenses to get for my m43 Panasonic GH3 with the speedbooster. If anybody can offer suggestions or experience, I would appreciate it. I want to get an end focal length of around 50mm (give or take).

The lenses I am currently considering are:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM (art) for Canon EF

Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 35mm T1.5 for EF

If anybody has used those lenses, please offer your opinions. I have been impressed by the Sigma footage I have viewed but understand the Rokinon has stronger qualities for video - however, is very soft at 1.5.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Samyang 35mm is certainly not soft wide open.

As for mount you choose - much better idea is to use Nikon or Pentax mount lenses, as all EF lenses except Samyang have electronically controlled aperture.

• I don't know that they make the Samyang 35mm for nikon ais mount - which is the nikon mount the lens turbo is made for.

• Thanks, Vitaliy. So you are suggesting that the f mount will work with the Ai-s mount on the lens turbo? And, that a nikon mount is preferable to canon because it provides more options in terms of manual lenses.

• Don't get the EF focal reducer..... !! Get a Nikon F mount RJ Lens Turbo instead.

• I think the RJ Lens Turbo is different from the Mitakon. Is this what you are referring too: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072737-REG/mitakon_mtkltm1aim43_lens_turbo_mk1_for.html

It doesn't explicitly say it is compatible with the F mount - is it, though?

• Thanks, Vitaliy. So you are suggesting that the f mount will work with the Ai-s mount on the lens turbo? And, that a nikon mount is preferable to canon because it provides more options in terms of manual lenses.

AI-s is Nikon F mount. (AI just stands for "Automatic Indexing", AI-s is just a little bit more advanced version of AI).

Nikon F mount lenses can be adapted to more, and more easily/better adapted. Additionally the adapters / focal reducers are cheaper too for Nikon F mount than Canon EF.

• Thanks, IronFilm. I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the lens turbo for nikon AI-s mount then. That leaves the lens..I am leaning towards the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 35mm T1.5. Do you (or others) have advice on that lens? I am also looking at the Sigma 30mm 1.4 art.

• I'd highly recommend the RJ Lens Turbo instead, as it then gives you control over Nikon G lenses too.

I'd go with Rokinon (or Samyang / Bower / etc) 35mm T1.5, as it has some cine features and is colour matched with the rest of the Rokinon Cine DS series for when you grow your set. And you don't need the AF of the Sigma when using it on your Panasonic.