Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Need gift recommendation - good basic video camera/camcorder
  • My sister in law asked me to help her find an entry level camera/camcorder for my brother who has started making some instructional videos. They only need a very basic camera, but I want to help her find the best one possible.

The only trouble is that the budget limit is $200... I have a feeling that his iPhone 5s will produce equal or better video than a $200 cam would though. She would focus on good lighting for him instead?

They also have a Nikon coolpix that is maybe 1.5 years old.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Hmm. Maybe check out the older Panasonic V720 camcorder (or the previos / older model - The V700). Good performance (sharpness / details wise), many control options and good low light capability. Should be in your price range (or only a little bit above) - At least if you buy it used. Btw.: It has external MIC in (very important for good quality audio), live view out (over HDMI) - If you want to use an external display somewhere in the future - AND also important: Tt´s quite easy to use (paired with a good AF performance).

Sure - Lights are maybe also an option. But you cannot compare the flexibility and usability of a good camcorder with an iPhone ^^. Maybe keep that in your mind for the future (as you also need stands, diffusors and multiple lights to form a good set to start with). Aputure CRI 95+ models are quite nice (I am using the H160 model - three of them - quite often). But there are also the H198 and the HR672 models. But that´s all useless, without a good camera to start with.

• @Tscheckoff Thanks, Ill check that one out.

• @joethepro If he has no gear at all, but has an iPhone 5S, and budget is locked at a limit of $200, I might be inclined to get a good audio solution (good used mic and recorder), along with some super inexpensive lights at hardware store like home depot, and use the iPhone 5S as camera. Just my first thoughts really, maybe others have some ideas. I guess it depends on what type of instructional videos he's making also.

• nikon 1 j1 at amazon for 230 !

• @matt_gh2:

Hmm. 200 bucks is just too limited to get multiple items (especially an acceptable audio recorder is quite expensive already). And you also need a mounting option for the iPhone (so you can control the angle for example with the phone). With the V700 (V720) on the other hand you only need an external lav mic (a used Sennheiser ME2 for example - Which you can get for a few bucks on Ebay quite often) - And you would get quite good audio already ...

At least if you´re recording quite close to the camera it´s the most effective solution (sure - It´s just usable with only one audio source / speaker - But that should be the case - As he only makes instructional videos at this time ^^). Light is also an option yes. But it´s not useful anymore to go for home depot halogen lights, as the LED lights are getting cheaper and cheaper. My Aputure H160 (CRI 95+) lights I got for example for just 30 bucks including shipment on Ebay (for each piece) - Even a home depot halogen light isn´t cheaper any more. And light he can also upgrade himself (and go for the lights he want) ^^.

But that´s just my opinion. Any other recommendations? =)

• Also check Panasonic SD90, it is previous in line before V700.

• I have an M400 you can have for $200. Same Pro CMOS as in the high end Canon Camcorders, mic in, tracking, etc.

• @Tscheckoff Those are good points. (I was thinking about the home depot "clamp" lights and using regular incandescent bulbs, but I've also had good luck with $30 LED lights.)

• Thanks, all. We decided to focus on lighting, a tripod with adapter for the 5S, and some sound deadening foam for the room for now. I appreciate the input!

• Get a Zoom H1 or similar next, as audio is key.