Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
editing gh4 4k in sony vegas 12
  • i film in 4k and i have a computer built that edits it no problem. i hear alot of talk about downconverting. wouldnt my best quality be to edit in a 4k timeline and render to either bluray or dvd in this project setting. What i mean is i dont have to use a 1080 project setting in vegas if im able to edit in 4k. Am i correct in my thinking? thanx

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I edit in 4k. Middle of the line computer with 2.2 i7 8gb RAM and 2gb gpu. I only have issues when there are heavy effects. I have rendered out to 4k, 2k, 1080p without issue. I did have problems with 720p. No clue what happened with that.

• thanks for responding. what im trying to figure out is besides being easier for a computer to work with, are there other advantages to working with 4k on a 1080 timeline? cropping etc?

• If you downconvert to 1080 you effectively get 4:4:4 colour sampling but I don't know if it matters what stage you do the downconvert - except I guess it will be less work for the CPU (effects etc) if you downconvert early on before then applying fx? That's my only thought, but I don't currently use 4k.

• do u like the 1080? i wish 4k had a 60fps mode