Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 run 'n gun for 2 separate recorded audio channels: Beachtek MCC-2 adaptor / bracket
  • I just got the GH4 and updated the firmware 2.0 (so I suppose the audio buzz is not there). I can add a Rode VideoMic Pro or a Sennheiser Wireless set, but not both at the same time. As I make professional (low budget) documentaries , 2 separate audio channels (1 mic, 1 wireless) is a must.

I'd like to record the audio on 2 separate (!) audio channels (Mic left, wireless right), directly in to the camera (GH4) If a audio backup is placed on a recorder that is even better.

For years I looked into stuff as the Zoom H6 / Tascam DR-100, etc. I like that the sound is recorded extra (as backup), but it is too much for a one mans show run 'n gun. I also don't want to sync in post. (as an editor will need to do that , and won't be happy with this) . I thought of the DR60, but it is big, complicated, bad batteries, etc. and I don't know if it can feed a stereo audio (separated) channel to the GH4?

So probably you'd suggest a Juiced Link / Beachtek preamp, because a pre amp is important, right?

But the GH4 pre amp (set to the lowest -12) is okay right? So I'd only need to get both channels in the camera. I found the Beachtek MCC-2, and didn't see anything here on the site.

What's your thought? Will this work for my purpose? Or is this not reconmended for a 'pro' . The money isn't the biggest issue, but the 'easy handy workflow' is.

My Pros: - no batteries, small, 3 hot shoes, (receiver, mic, light) - perhaps possible to put below the camera - cheap

Cons: - Would a pre amp be much better? - Mini jack vs (balanced?) XLR (would that be much better)

I also have a sennheiser shotgun with XLR, but it is quite big for the GH4. As the VMP already has 3.5 and sennheiser wireless also has that cable, that seems more logical (and smaller).

103178-beachtek4-ORG.jpg
    1100 x 800 - 95K
    beach_mcc2_side.JPG
    1100 x 800 - 91K
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • maybe not perfectly ideal, though has been serving me well on the GH1, GH2, GH3, and now GH4: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252280-REG/Hosa_Technology_YMM_261_Stereo_Mini_Male_to.html

plus sometimes I use this in combination with the one above to reduce cable stress: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252319-REG/Hosa_Technology_GMP_272_GMP272_Male_Mini_to.html

now mind you, there is no option to adjust independent levels directly on camera, so what I do is adjust my AF output level on my Sennheiser g3 Rx after I get my shotgun set nicely.

I used to use the Sennheiser MKE600 as my primary on-camera shotgun, though have to set the GH4's preamp up a bit to get a good signal from it (and could hear the buzz), so now I use my Shure Lenshopper Mic (the one w/o recorder) as it has a very good +20db preamp built into it. With options to go to 0dB preamp or a -10 pad. It also operates off of 1 AA batt, just as the Senneheiser G3 Rx and Tx use AAs.

Still the option to be able to have knobs is nice, and what you found looks nice. I think Beachtek is known to have pretty good audio quality.

splitter.jpg
    150 x 150 - 3K
    angle.jpg
    150 x 150 - 3K
  • Get a pre-amp. Your sennheiser will give you infinitely better sound than a vmp (I've had both).

• For years I looked into stuff as the Zoom H6 / Tascam DR-100, etc. I like that the sound is recorded extra (as backup), but it is too much for a one mans show run 'n gun. I also don't want to sync in post. (as an editor will need to do that , and won't be happy with this) . I thought of the DR60, but it is big, complicated, bad batteries, etc. and I don't know if it can feed a stereo audio (separated) channel to the GH4?

You can check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/11415/tascam-dr-60d-mkii#Item_12

It can output stereo sound to camera. Preamps must be good.

• I know about the dr60d mkii, but it's quite big for under the camera, (so you can't change camera batteries), many buttons, if batteries run out, all the sound stops, perhaps handling noise, (and perhaps you also need to put it on record separately etc). In other words: many things can go wrong... if you are alone run and gun. If the MCC-2 works (as I'd think), it would be much more easier.

When people use only a VMP +20DB or a Sennheiser wireless they mostly connect it directly to the camera. To get good sound in both cases the in camera sound is supposed to be as low as possible (I am planning to put it with the GH4 on -12),

So what would be the issue of connecting both VMP and Sennheiser through something like the MCC 12? Probably I am missing something.

• There should be no issue using that MCC 12. In fact, I am considering one now. Ages ago I use to use this: http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm with my Panasonic PV-GS400 (who remembers that camera!) for the same purpose and it worked perfectly - 2 mono 3.5mm ins, 1 stereo 3.5mm out plus some toggles. Also has XLR in (tho w/o phantom). Kind of wishing I hadn't sold it on ebay :)

XLR-PRO_large1.jpg
    428 x 191 - 14K
  • I have a JuicedLink DT454 and it does not work at all. It worked great with my Canon cameras, but you need to adjust your gain manually. The GH4 DOES NOT have manual gain which saturates your audio completely (you can only get to -12 which is not enough). No way to bring those pre-amped levels into the camera. The only solution: turning ON the 'limiter' option in the menu. This sets you again back to very amateurish audio. Very sad that a great camera can't get great audio.

• I use the same XLR adapter from Signvideo as sam_rides. I got it on Ebay so maybe I bought his? lol Works very well. I used it with my Vixia and now used it with the GH4. No complaints, it's very solid and it's cheap.

• @creativeblends - have to disagree with you. Set the GH4 input levels to -12, no limiter, and set levels using juiced link preamp. Of course you have to set levels manually - easy as pie

• @tommy I use the MCC-2 pretty much as you're looking to do. The VMP's +20dB setting provides a very strong signal, even with the GH4's gain set to -12dB. You can then use the MCC-2 to bring the VMPs overly-strong levels into the optimal range using the GH4's audio meters. I use a Sony wireless system, which works very well with the MCC-2, but the Sennheiser system should work just as well.

@creativeblends sounds like you have something configured wrong in your audio chain. Either that, or something is defective. I would recommend testing each device (mic, preamp, GH4, etc.) in isolation to narrow down the issue.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters