Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Music video shot on Lumix GH3 and anamorphic adaptor at 50fps
  • Please have a look at the music promo I made on a Lumix GH3.

If you're interested in the tecky stuff, here it is, otherwise please just enjoy the pictures!

I used a kowa 8-Z anamorphic adaptor, mounted on a voigtlander Nokton 35mm F1.2. I also had a Tokina .4 achromat and a Cokin Diopter +2 for the Close ups.

It was all shot at night which presented problems as I found the Lumix isn't very good in low light. I was shooting at 50fps which reduced the amount of light I had even further. I also found that if the lens was fully open it was difficult to get a focus. Not because it was too shallow, but because it wouldn't focus on anything with the adaptor.

As you can see I over-cranked the ISO (accidentally went to 3200 when I thought I was on 1600), but I couldn't set lights up on the banks of the Thames at 3am, as we didn't have permission to be there. I wish I'd got someone to stand close by reflecting a bright torch off a white shirt though. I can only hope that I get away with the graininess in the spirit of low/no budget film making, and it looks like 16mm. I couldn't ask the actors to go back into the Thames for me!

I think the Lumix in low light has given the film a real 'look' but in all honesty I wasn't impressed by how much colour information it recorded. This camera really needs light to work well.

You can also see the notorious shutter wobble a few times. Weirdly it doesn't bother me in this video, as I think it suits the slightly surreal mood. Same goes for the sodium street lights making the flicker. I wanted to keep the shutter above 100 (I was shooting 50fps), but I could have decreased flicker by reducing the shutter speed. However, I decided to embrace it, and instead increased the shutter, which made the flicker more pronounced.

Staying close up to the actors, using the diopters, gave me a picture I liked the most. The bokeh looks lovely and soft and cinematic. Shots where I had to focus to infinity were difficult - the bokeh is ugly in those shots (in my opinion), taking the shape of a kind of horizontal tear. But I couldn't film the whole video in close ups!

It was difficult to shot this as a one-man-band. Having to screw two different diopters on or off every time I wanted to change my proximity to the actors made it quite fiddly. I was also moving lights (I had x3 LED panels). I had some other taking lenses, but it wasn't practical to change during the shoot.

Lastly, I know its normal to crop the super-wide picture you get from shooting 2x anamorphic on a 16:9 sensor, but I decided to embrace it. It's fun, and a bit silly, but its a music promo, so why not.

Hope you enjoy. The track by Durlston George, his debut single, is lovely.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Great video! Love all anamorphic work. Wonderfull song and images. But IMO, flickering is worse than breaking the 180 degrees rule. I found some shot are missaligned, with vertical lines at an angle. (Black girl close ups are like "inclined") Over all, good work.

• Yeah - I guess flicker is a matter of opinion. I wouldnt do it normally, but in this case I felt it added something other worldly. In the same way the 50fps does. Although I didnt do the misaligning on purpose, I feel a bit the same with this. The whole film is slightly off key and the warping and flickering add to that. But it isn't clean, and I guess would normally be a big no no!

• VERY VERY VERY NICE!!!
    Congrats, lots of great ideas and shots, love the girl trippin shot among others... not everything has to be perfect IMHO

As @Grimor, the flicker really distracts me (without adding anything "solid"... maybe guilty of trained eye) and the whole experience deserves a bit more colour love... and I don't mean more quantity - find pleasing the desaturation - I mean on balancing, colour palette, the sticky colour glue pseudo-coherence for hungry pupils BS kind of thing :P

• Hey @maxr thanks for comments. I tried really hard to grade it, but its practically impossible with out proper kit. What looked great on my screen looked terrible the moment it was compressed - suddenly everything was mismatched. I kept going back and tweaking, but in the end I was fighting a loosing battle. I agree though! If anyone on here wants to offer a free grade in a DaVinci suit...

• Out of curiosity, would it be too much to ask to share a 1:1 ungraded framegrab where different colour patches are shown?

• What do you mean by 'colour patches'? Give me a time code and I'll take a look.

• I Mean relativelly big colour splashes/samples so we can see how those colours looked ungraded =)
    Either:
    • 2'18'' MS of very angry him while creasing the pappers with blue dot on left and yellow lamp on the right mirrored at his left
    or
    • 2'23'' frontal MS of her facing up while dancing at the bar
    would do.

Thanks @Wotsisname