Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
7 inch MustHD 1280x800 Field Monitor
  • Due to old fading EyeBulbs I went shopping for a larger field monitor. The Camax H056 has seved me well so I did not want less. Although twice as big the MustHD M701 is also twice as heavy but it still fits in the front pouch of my Tamrac Pro8 bag. You can check it out at musthd.com or buy it at Amazon Best thing about it is the adjustable zoom function that really helps with focus.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Since you've had it for a number of months, are you continuing to enjoy the M701? Which camera are you using it with? I'd like to know if there were any issues with 4k playback on the GH4.

• oDD I had clicked the star to follow but did not get your reply. I use the MustHD on both my GH4 and A7s with great success. It does show the images while recording internal 4k with the GH4. I especially like the zoom feature as it helps me focus. I attach it to my TriPod so the size and weight are no problem. It can also be leaned back against the battery when on a shelf at the Bowling alley.

I am expecting delivery of an Odyssey 7Q+ so in a few days this and my Ninja II recorder may be available for sale.

• @RRRoger How is the MustHD in daylight and sunshine?

• The MustHD 7 is just about as good as the 7Q+ or any good monitor. They all have problems in the Sun, but it does come with a large shade.

Now that I have the 7Q+ it just sits on my desk waiting for a two camera shoot that may never happen.

• Is the 7Q+ as usable say recording GH4 to 10-bit 422 ProRes as hoped?

Neil

• rNeil, I'll have to get back to you on that.

I have focused all my energy on getting good Video out of the A7s because of it's low light capability. It has been a struggle because the Camera/System is so non ergonomic/intuitive for me. The Convergent Design 7Q+ has become an absolute necessity for that camera.

The GH4 (for me) took great Video right out of the box with nothing but a native 12-35 lens. However, I was getting moire/artifacts when trying to use it in the poor/low light indoors. I will get it off the shelf a try it with a SpeedBooster, 17-35 Nikkor, and 7Q+ inside the Bowling Alley soon, because I need to refamiliarize myself with it before an Outside Memorial Day Picnic. I will be using it with (very satisfactory internal 1080P60) and a Lumix lens for that Event because it is better than the A7s in bright light and the AFF works better too. It will "stand alone", unattended.

For the Bowling Alley Video, I will set up the GH4 HDMI to 7Q+ and record 10 bit 1080P (DownRes) from 4k (422 10 bit. Before/After this I will record it internally ALL-I to compare.

• OK, I have the results from today's Bowling Practice. I mistakenly used the Lumix 12-35 instead of the SpeedBooster and Nikkor so both Videos came out on the dark side. First the MediaInfo on the internal and external codecs see attached.... See Frame Grabs imageimageimageimage

GH4codec.txt
    Odyssey7Q+codec.txt
  • @RRRoger I have gotten zero moire/ailiasing on the GH4 even in low light conditions, but, I always shot in UHD 4k, because it's the cleanest. I saw some jaggies in 1080 mode and don't bother to shoot in HD as a result.

• CFreak I will try GH4 4k internal and 7Q+ external when I get a chance.

One thing I found out about the 7Q+ was that the DownRes 4k to 1080P60 not only uses twice the file space but produces a video with not as good appearance as the DownRes 1080P30. I think it is interpolating the Raw data to get 60fps out of 30.

So 4k P30 each will be used. And I will also probably use a Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 lens with SpeedBooster on the GH4 to let in a lot more light.

• I used the GH4 with 12-35 Lumix at the Church Picnic today to shoot two 4kP30 Videos. The 7Q+ Video was slightly better, but what did you expect at 384 Mbps compared to 106Mbps. The 7Q+ file was huge and my clunky old 8 core computer with only 16GB memory and 4GB video card had trouble with it so I tried playing directly from the fast SSD thru USB3 and used QuickTime for better results. I do not do post processing. That may have made a huge difference.

At any rate, the internal codec held up really well on the GH4.

So far this has not been the case with the A7s which cannot even record 4k internally. Even the 4k DownRes to 1080P30 has been way better than anything internal, plus the poor camera battery life is doubled by not recording internally on the A7s.

PS, The 7Q+ Monitor was not better than the MustHD 7" outside. So, unless you do post processing or have an A7s, I would just buy the much cheaper MustHD.

• I've got an answer from MustHD concerning the false color function on M701H monitor...(i asked about which color represents the IRE scale) This is the picture they sent me ..

Can anyone explain this to me?

FalseColor Transit Chart.pdf
  • Click on the folded paper. It is an Adobe pdf file. However, I am not sure if the "False Color Transit Chart" answers your question.

• I've already opened the pdf but couldn't understand the graph..

• Confuses me too. Lucky for me the monitor works very well as is. But I am sure it is adjustable. The manual say to configure by using the control knob.

• So you are using false colour function with 701h? I can't find the part of the manual that refers to configuring false colour function.

• I was going to buy this monitor just for false color too! I ended up just getting a Ninja 2 so I could get the 10-bit ProRes and false color, albeit in a much smaller screen.