Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Question: max weight of a lens on a gh2 body
  • does anyones knows how much lens weight the gh2 body can handle without risking damage?
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • I guess it's around 2 lbs including adapter. It also depends on length of lens.
  • Surely you can use any lens so long as you start attaching the lens to a tripod not the camera?
  • Sure!
    Officially Panasonic is limiting lens weight on the AF100 to 1 kg, so 2 lbs sounds OK if the mount is not weaker.

But the GH2 is so light even when hacked ;-) that I use a lens mount with a tripod thread whenever I attach PL-mount lenses.
  • Some of the vintage teles don't have thread holes. If you have rails you need an lens support. Or you can try your camera store for a collar -- hard to match them on line. Best to buy it in a shop so you can make sure it fits.
  • thank you! 1 kg then :), i was worried about a vintage fd lens that weights 600 gr, so it seems that is fine then,
    thank you all!!
  • anything you wouldnt hold straight out at arms length for 3-5 mins ;)
  • For info, the 14-140 weighs about 540g and obviously that's fine. I'm trying a 580g lens combo on it and it's probably pushing it a bit.
  • The max I`ve used for long periods of time without a tripod colla r is about 3 pounds. I`d probably second the reccomendation for a collar when going over 2 pounds (unless you are shooting handheld and supporting weight with your other hand, or using rails).
  • @alcomposer

How's the play on the adapter?
  • @stonebat

On the Lens side there is none, (don't know if this is constant, or a fluke) on the GH2 side its about .5mm (which is enough to be annoying)

For me- I don't like touching the GH2 when I am filming, (touch the lens only: Focus/FaderND/Aperture) so this is a non-issue. The adaptor is so steady for the lens that it is worth it.

Hopefully I can 'rig' something to make the M43 as ridged as the Nikon mount. Any ideas?
  • The heaviest lens I used with my GH2 was an Olympus 14-35mm f2, which weights 1.98 lb (900 g). I used it on a three day shoot, the camera was fine but I think I was pushing it....
  • Ooh - I was looking at that one yesterday. Is it as good as it looks? Does it work OK on mft?