Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 colour matching to Sony PWM100 issue! Please help me
  • Hi there I am in desperate need of some help from the community!

I shot an event with my GH3 and a Sony PWM100 camera and throughout the whole event the colours are almost 100% spot on between the two cams. Unfortunately one of the speakers wore a pink dress and the GH3 captures it as a completely different colour! When I try to replace the pink and change it, her skin tons are affected as well and makes her very unflattering. I have attached photos below to explain. IF anyone can please help me I am on a deadline and need to figure this out!

Thanks,

Tyler

Sony PWM un-CC.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 747K
    gh3 screen un-CC.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 523K
    GH3 CC.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 551K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I don't know what you're working in, but if that problem shot doesn't move too much then consider making your color correction through a power window so her skin goes unaffected.

• @artiswar I've tried in both Premiere, and After Effects with the same effects (obviously).

I'm not sure what a power window is, as I usually have no issue matching my cameras except in this very random occurrence!

• If you mean masking out her arms, face and other extremities then that just isn't feasible unfortunately as that would be hours upon hours of animating masks to follow her.

• @tylerknight

I don't know if you've got Speedgrade available ... you do mention both PrPro & AeFx ... but this would be something that should be do-able in Sg on a secondary. Create a "secondary layer" above your primary grade (in the lower left "looks" window) and use a color-picker to choose a sort of middle-tone of the pink dress (middle for the dress, NOT the shot in all) and then use the sliders to modify the area until you've got that dress selected and not other stuff. Can take a bit of fussing, but it's not too bad a process.

• You could go with 3d out creator but I'm pretty sure it would take you a long time to nail the thing, lots of spills and drills ,-)
    What I would you in your situation is go in photoshop, hammer the shit out of the image till is acceptable, then I'll duplicate the process with Resolve's trim_lut0.dpx and import result into DR as a LUT. Same as in here, but you can actually use tif or other formats. Then you can use you LUT harlot either in Resolve, Premiere, in AE, and even speedgraVe.

I didn't go the whole 9 yards (isn't that the expression?) but I took the liberty to conspurcate your image with both possibilities =) image

I added A Kodak LUT just to have a feel of what the images would like with a veil

You'll manage a nice solution, I'm sure. All good

• Thanks a lot guys! The main issue I have is that I got to that point where it is darn close, but as she moves, the red spot on her chest comes and goes along with the dress as the different light hits it.

It's all good I ended up pulling ties with the client on this one as they kept adding work without adding pay.

Thanks regardless I have some great tips for if this comes up again.

Tyler