Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HD videocamera that would match my GH2/GH3/GH4 multicam shoots?
  • I would so much love to be able to have one more flexible camera in terms of zooming and it should meet my GH2(T5moon)/GH3/GH4 setup. Price...well, $1500-$2500 max, the cheaper the better...

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • are you thinking of a camcorder? The panasonic AG-AC90 i think is your only option, but i doubt even that will mix with a gh2/gh3/gh4 I have just been shooting a theatre performance with three SONY HXR-NX5E's, you will not be happy when shooting with a camcorder these days, they are so far behind in quality if not very expensive..

• I'm at the same wagon right now, the Sony NX30 it's look very convenient because of the size and stabilization, and with the plus of professional audio inputs, maybe the Panasocic AF100 is something to look at too, a more similar image, great price used, ND filter and pro audio.

• The NX30, and I believe the AC90 as well, do not really have any color/picture controls. So you may be able to adjust your GH's to look closer to the camcorder (although I doubt you'd be able to get it even close to perfect, would probably still need a lot of CC in post), but you won't be able to do vice versa. I also doubt resolution would be close, although you can always blur or downres the GH stuff to match. Something like an HVX200, with 4:2:2 files, and lots of color/picture controls, would probably be easier to get to match in-cam, but again the resolution isn't going to match.

• There's a review on B&H web site from a guy who bought the NX30 and tried to match it with his GH2, but returned the NX30 because he thought the image was too noisy/grainy compared to the GH2's image.

Also, the new Sony AX100 4K camcorder with 1" sensor is $2000 and Sony CX900 is $1500.

• thanks guys, I thought it would be hard to match...I always find myself having a difficult time setting up the cameras...for a concert multicam shoot I want to be able to zoom in close and have a cam in the back for the view of the whole stage but since I never know how far away that camera will be from the stage I thought having one more flexible camera with much higher zoom factor it would be the best option well, sounds like I need 1-2 more GH2's with lenses...what would you recommend? I already have the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses. I use these for our handheld shooting from the front so one can zoom in close on the instruments, the other has a picture of the face and upper body or even more. Then I have the 42.5 1,2 lense, I usually find a nice spot for this one close the stage to focus on the main singer/microphone and I have the 20 1.7 lense for putting it close to the stage and having a wide view. For the drummer I use Gopros. Of course, the dream set up would be a proper cam and lense for the drummer as well and having one cam in the back for some audience shots...but really one camera for the complete view of the stage is most important right now... thanks for any suggestions

• AC90 is a great match! I do weddings and events with that combo all the time!

• ok, the ac90 is a strong contender now! anyone knows if the european model can do 24p or just 25p? I really want to keep my whole workflow in 24p