Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Night at the opera
  • A Handel aria for your listening enjoyment. This aria, Lascia ch'io pianga, was featured in the movie Farinelli.

It's sometimes fun to do a remake of a big Hollywood costume piece--just five minutes of one. All of the scores of Handel's music are now public domain, as they were printed in the 19th century.

Here is the movie version: The movie has an interesting anachronism, which is that the orchestra is conducted--in Handel's time the music flow was directed by the playing of the keyboard instrument, giving a more sinuous musical flow. Modern conductors came into view around 1820, more than 100 years after the opera was composed.

Would have been nice to rent out a baroque style opera house for a day, but that would have been expensive :)

Cams: GH3 Flowmotion (center cam), GH10s

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Always watch and very much like your videos.

• Thanks so much, Vitaliy, I learn so much from everyone on this site.

• @DrDave Looks and sounds great. What type of audio recording setup do you did you use for this performance? Thanks for posting.

• Thanks Matt~~It is an inside-out Decca tree (the DrDave Array) formed of three pairs of mics. There's a pair of matched cardioid MKH 40 in the middle on a single stand center in NOS, and the corners of the tree are about four feet forward and six feet lower. The corners can be two to four feet apart, but no more or you will get some timing issues. Each forward corner has an unmatched AB parallel pair 6 inches apart consisting of a subcardioid MK 20 and a ribbon figure of eight. The panning and delay have to be very accurately set to make it work. The stereo pairs nullify the delay partially, so you have to kind of mess around with the timing.

Everything goes straight into the DR 680 (I leave all my preamps and other stuff at home). I use the Fostex FR2LE to back the whole thing up in stereo.

• Damn! - you've got this art down to a science and the science down to an art. Very cool.

• Not sure if it is a science, just thirty-five years of trial and error :)