Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
About to edit my first feature: BMCC Prores. 5TB worth of footage.. need help with storage/edit etc
  • Hi guys, foolishly I didn't think about the storage or editing situation when it comes to editing a prores feature film. (worried about other things at the time) I've been looking around the web for options. I"m editing on a PC with a 2TB internal drive. 1TB for the O/S. Graphics card is the nvidia k5000. So i guess external RAID would be the best way to store and edit my film, using Pr CC. ( i guess). So just wondering if these Hard drive arrays would work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767624-REG/Buffalo_HD_QL8TU3R5_8_TB_DriveStation_Quad.html

or the

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid

Cheers

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I have no experience with the Buffalo drive, but I can confirm that the G-drives are reliable for editing and backing up a feature.

• Just used a G Drive for primary external drive for feature film edit. Worked perfectly, no errors at all.

• Why don't you just generate some smaller DNxHD proxy files in Resolve and copy them to your internal drive or an external USB 3.0 hard drive and edit those.

Premiere will just love the small files, and you can go back to the ProRes files inside Resolve via an XML file from Premiere for final cc, and then back to Premiere (or After Effects) for titles and delivery. (If you don't use Resolve, you can always generate proxies in Adobe, although the Proxy workflow is not as smooth.)

You can then back up all of your files a couple of times on some cheap external drives that you can store somewhere separate from your workstation, just in case of fire/theft/natural disaster.

This is what I am doing with the feature that I am editing now, shot on a BMPCC in Raw, and it is working perfectly.

• I'm using a Drobo 5D. Great little enclosure, especially with the small SSD option in the bottom. USB3, Thunderbolt, etc. so it is plenty fast and flexible.