Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Just picked up an Olympus LS100 for my GH1.
  • I'd like to reduced my work flow to zero post. Can I plug my Olympus LS100 "Ear" to my GH1 "Mic" or will I get shit sound quality? Is that even recommended? Cannot try it right now because I do not have a 3.5mm-to-2.5mm adapter. But, generally speaking, is this a good idea or will I need to suck it up and record my audio externally with the LS100 and sync it in post? Please help a newbie.

Note: I bought the GH1 to record a baby shower coming up so it's gonna be in a big hall, dj, loud music and all that so I believe the mic will perform in these conditions. I will mount the LS100 onto a rig and do all the production myself. The GH1 is no hacked so I'm not sure if the AGC will affect anything. I don't even know if the GH1 has AGC. I looked into getting a JuicedLink but the LS100 was a complete steal so I'm going to try and stick to this setup as much as possible.

The LS100 has Left & Right XLR mic input with phantom power do if I need to upgrade to a better mic than the internal LS100 mic, I can, but again, I prefer not to.

I just want a simple rig, LS100 & GH1 and some wires to connect the two and get pro audio. Am open to other suggestions as far as attenuator cables and maybe a mic upgrade but this is going to be my primary rig.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I would buy 3.5mm to 2.5 mm adapter then try it first. I already bought 2 adapter but both were not working. Photo a baby is not easy to me, Ya talking a baby shower, not sure if what part of sound would be needed but you wanna wet them all -;) with pro sound. I would bring a laptop and ask dj person for a line out.

• We had discussion of 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters, I suggest to get wire one with two connectors.

Also. It could be that you'll need wire that adapt line/ear level to mic level (I mean here level deduction).

If you are shooting using one camera and won't make big amount of cuts and such, it must be not big problem to use recorder as separate sound source and record main sound on camera mikes and sync it all in post.

Also for shooting babies and such - think about getting affordable Panasonic HDC camcorder, like SD90, SD200

Ala http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-AVCHD-HDC-SD99-Full-HD-Camcorder-TOP-/331143379216?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder&hash=item4d19aef910

Even SD1 with his less than ideal encoder can do - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-HDC-SD1-HIGH-DEFINITION-3CCD-CAMCORDER-/121287530057?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item1c3d4cd649