Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Avid / Edius GH2 workflow 25pfs wraped in 50i (also works for Canon and other formats)
  • Hi,

I just post a few workflow ideas for Avid and also Edius to get around some common problems.

Some cameras (eg GH2) wrap the 1080/25p in a 50i (25fps) container or do other weird stuff like show you a very strange framerate.

Workflow Avid MC6 or higher:

• create a 1080/25p project
    • AMA link your card (don't rename your files otherwise your AMA Link doesn't work)
    • In your bin enable the "field motion" column/heading and with a click on the line(s) Avid interprets the file(s) as progressive or progressive strobe.
    • Transcode to Avid DNX and hope for the best because Avid struggles a lot with GH2 files (Avid is king with pro files but h.264 isn't pro for him).
    • When you run into transcode troubles you have to transcode the files that didn't work with a 3rd party program like usually Squared5 (doesn't like my GH2 files too), so like Adobe media encoder.

if you have files with weird frame rates

• Open the Console (Under Tools) and type eg. "SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate true 25.00" and hit enter
    • some message appears and your linked AMA's are now 25fps (or whatever you typed in)
    • you have to type in the commando every time you start your Avid (doesn't remember it)
    • to stop type "SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate false 0"

If you have different framerates / resolutions you can mix and match them in Avid

• work in another project on a different framerate / resolution
    • open your main project
    • import the bin(s) from the other project(s)
    • Avid will handle everything

And because I'm on field in the middle of nowhere with a small laptop I take this approach to check my files, make a rough cut or transcribe an interview.

Workflow Edius: Basically you don't have to think about anything

• drag in whatever you like
    • change some files to another field motion
    • mix other framerates/formats,...

I don't love Edius, but you have to love some features of it like working with everything native on a small laptop or ...

hope this helps ciao, Hans-Peter