Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Games also progressed significantly
  • We have reached a point in which mobile games couldn't even be said to be a game anymore. Playing a game means that you have fun. It doesn't mean that you sit around and wait for the game to annoy you for so long that you decide to pay credits to speed it up. And for an old geezer like me who remember the glory days of gaming back in the 1990s, it's just unbearable to watch.

Now let's look at exactly the same game, but reimagined for the iPad/Android and in-app purchases.

Btw, it is not coincidence. It is perfectly orchestrated situation made by Apple and Google as store owners, as they get part of every payment they are interested to turn everything to shit so it'll get them more money.

http://www.baekdal.com/opinion/how-inapp-purchases-has-destroyed-the-industry/

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I had to laugh so hard (this guy is brilliant)!

He is absolutely right....but.....I don't understand why people think there would be ANY good game on mobile phones? I mean besides some Sudoku or other (slow) puzzle games. Any "action" game must be for idiots - why? - because there are no input devices than the screen and by smashing your thumb as fast as you can on the screen you won't need any brain cells. Without any controlls you don't have to look at, there will be no fast reaction to the actual game.

Its only "bling bling" (nice graphics, fucking stupid gameplay). I watch the kids playing those iPhone games every morning in the subway. They download a game, try it ONE TIME only and if they don't get a highscore they download the next game. The "coolest" kids are the ones with the most games on there phone - only the number of games count - but none of them has mastered even a single game.

I like gaming a lot, but for me it has to be a challenge (I even prefere my old Gameboy over this new games). Many kids today have no interest in a challenge, they are the perfect target for Google and Apple.

PS: Anyone here for: Lemmings (Amiga 2Player mode!), Speedball (Amiga), Wipeout (PS1),.. ? ;-)

• Any "action" game must be for idiots - why? - because there are no input devices than the screen and by smashing your thumb as fast as you can on the screen you won't need any brain cells. Without any controlls you don't have to look at, there will be no fast reaction to the actual game

You know that joysticks for tablets and mobiles exist, right?

• Lemmings

You can search for topic :-) Windows version made in WIn 95-98 days combining two original ones work on modern PCs quite good.

Otherwise also want to suggest Dreamcast games.

• There is no version of the original Lemmings that has the 2 Player mode from Amiga and Atari version - as far as I know. The one player mode itselfe is one of the best games ever made, but try the two player mode against a friend how knows the game as you do und it will double the fun.

I still have an Amiga and many CDs full of games, unfortunately I don't have any 3.5" discs left to copy the games on.

• I still have an Amiga and many CDs full of games, unfortunately I don't have any 3.5" discs left to copy the games on.

As far as I know bunch of emulators exist.

• As far as I know bunch of emulators exist.

Yes, and they are quite good by now - but some programmers did wired things with the actual hardware trying to get out every bit of power of the poor 7Mhz CPU and the other chips - things that freak out those emulators;-)

Oh, and I can't plug my original Competition Pro joystick into my Mac!

• Original game is available for free at http://www.gog.com/