Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Moving to Australia! Any helpers down there?
  • Hello my friends,

I have right now the opportunity to work in a company for half a year abroad. Originaly I planed to work in the USA, but as visa is expensive and it takes time, my focus is now Australia. The last month I have sent emails to most of the production companies and received as expectet no response. Right now am considering to just fly over and apply for a job personally. I hope I am not starting to become to motivated and by result to naive, but I am convinced I will find something.

As I have read in another thread (I think it was a meetup thread), there are some Aussies in this forum. Any tips on getting a job? Also how much costs living there in general? Or anyone at all experiences with Australia?

I know the chances are low, but if by coincidence there is now one of you right now looking for me, here a quick summary of my skills.

I am 22 years old, fluent in english, spanish, german and french. Worked now for 2 years as a freelance cameraassistent/sound mixer, and Graphic animateur. Worked also on student films as DOP and First AD. I edit on Premiere and Aftereffects since 6 years.

Even thought you might not be from Australia, I am sure there are people that have might gone through a similair situation. I would appreciate any tricks and I would love to hear your experiences.

If there are people interested in my outcomes, I will keep this thread alive and share with you my trip down under!

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • I'm not from Australia, but for living costs why don't you have a look at craigslist and find out how much apartments are listed at?

And I've applied for jobs in foreign countries before. Often, they want people already living there. But it's better to contact all the potential companies you're interested in before going out there. Make contact, send them your CV, chat with them through email. You might get lucky and get an interview through Skype and a job offer before you head out.

• Don't go to Australia! It is full of Snakes, spiders, crocs, and even worse.... Australians! ;-)

Come join me here in New Zealand instead :-)

• @babypanda Well, none of the companies did react to my letters, the only thing left to do is to call each one of them. Thanks for the tip with craigslist!

@IronFilm I have been also looking at New Zealand! I do really not mind which country to work, as long as I get a lot of experiences with new people and with filmmaking. That's what is important to me. I do not really mind the nature, althaugh my mother has been in Australia and New Zealand last november, and she really felt in love with New Zealands landscape. About the Aussies, I dont know, I have only heart positive things about them! If you really have a job offer or at least a position, it would be crazy! Where do you live and in which kind of field do you work in? (Corporate, Music video, Image video??) Any showreels?

• Bara I don't work in the video/Post world, I work in 3D instead. Most of the video jobs are in Sydney or Melbourne. I live in Brisbane. These two city are the most expensive to live in terms of rent and food and trust me they cost plenty $$$. Rent alone is a killer, You pay top dollar for crap. In terms of the industry, colleges and university are churning out multimedia grads by the hundreds with promises of glamorous jobs and high pay ( HAHA what a con job but that's another story) so competition is fierce. I am not sure what jobs are on offer for experienced people.

Join this group and post your questions here. http://www.dlf.org.au/

Lots of helpful people are on this site and its full of video/3D people.

hope it helps

IronFilm is right when hey says Don't go to Australia! It is full of Snakes, spiders, crocs, and even worse.... Australians! ;-)

• Ok this is the seroius bit >Check out ABC Open, you could make many contacts here and contribute to the many projects they run. Browse thru the menu and read what it's about. I know of people who have been part of projects offered full time and part time work thru this network. https://open.abc.net.au/home

Don't let the wild life put you off, get yourself a big knife aka "Crocodile Dundee". Just watch yourself with the locals though .. Mick Taylor's a mate of mine, so give me nod when coming 'n I'll put you in the good books .... see below.

New Zealand's looking good ..hey? Hahahah hahahah....

• @Bara: I'm just a film student, hoping to perhaps forge ahead my own business somehow in this.

As for my comment about Australians, it was just a bit of friendly joking :-) There is quite a bit of rivalry between the two countries.

If you're coming to NZ then really the only two cities worthwhile considering seriously for your purposes is Auckland and Wellington.

As for the cost of living in Australia, sure in Sydney I think it is quite ridiculous, but Sydney is super expensive compared to anywhere else in Australia, it isn't as if all of Australia is like that. (this is like this all over the world that one city in a country costs waay more than the rest, for instance London vs the rest of the UK)

Is a bit like that in New Zealand too, Auckland is regarded as super expensive to live in compared to anywhere else in New Zealand (this is mainly/entirely due to house prices in Auckland, similar reason for Sydney). But as an Aucklander I don't think it is bad at all, I can live quite cheaply, and we're still a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a house than Sydney is.

• @IronFilm

To conclude. Best option seems to be distant Maori village :-) Lots of simple work and cheap.

• Melbourne is not cheap either!

• Queensland is cheaper but not many video work opportunities.

Good thing I made my peace with the Kiwis, I have a 3 day job to do in Takapuna, Auckland in two weeks time. :-)

Actually I find Auckland very reasonable, food and accom is cheap but good quality.

• Check out Townsville! The women are always looking for some foreigners there ;)

• Check out Townsville! The women are always looking for some foreigners there ;)

Nah, gotta compete with the Army Boys in Townsville, big base there.

• @Rambo Yeah, that was the joke! I went there for 90 days, years ago for a training exercise with the Airborne cats. Got my Royal Australian Airborne Wings there...........also got piss ass drunk, met some girl in a bar, stole her from her boyfriend, ended up in some motel, passed out, had my whole command look for me in the city because they thought I was attacked and left in an alley somewhere and then was fucked for the next 45 days there!!! Still a good first few weeks ;)

• It was you, ya bastard....I'll get Mick Taylor onto you...lol

• Hey guys, Thanks for your feedback so far! I can imagine that it super expensive living down there. I would rent just a room, I would also share apartments with students. @babypanda The suggestion looking up for an apartment in craigslist really made me sick. There is just one page, and everyone has listed that they have a room, AS LONG AS YOU ARE A WOMAN AND DONT MIND SLEEPING WITH THEM. What's wrong with them :O

@Phils Well, I have to admit that I might be one of those students too. As the same situation is happening right now in germany too. We have an increasing number of grads which end up working as an intern for a long period. At least they got paid internships. It's enough to pay rent, but thats it. The educational system is drowning the market by letting too many people enter university too earlier or by increasing the numbers of students each year.

@Rambo Thanks for your feedback. But I might now have understood fully this website. So there are projects where everyone is welcomed to work on, for their own, and then post the results on this website. This seems like an online workshop to improve your skills. It is really interesting, but by no means I would travel half the world if I could do the same here. So where do people work together, or where are the possibilities to get a job? If people now write an interesting story, does ABC send guys there to capture them? Or do you deliver a finished product and get money from them?

@Ironfilm I see. Well, it kind of sounds like I might be either getting a sponsorship or you might see me fruitpicking 3 months, to be able to do at least an internship for 1 month.

• Sydney is expensive!! And I work at one of those institutions that keep pumping out media and art graduates in an over saturated landscape. It is pretty competitive. My area is not in high end film production but stuff for galleries. Problem is that the production houses are swamped with young graduates trying to gain experience. If you come here I think you should also have alternative plans to see the country, try different things ect but being on the ground you may find that you get a lucky break and pick up some work, then again you may not. Have you tried: Animal Logic (mostly animation) provide a work experience program but it is aimed at local school kids. But they are a good company.
    Also Rambo's site is run by the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and it does provide a community of user generated media works, so I do not think there is money to be made there.

Have a look at the classifieds on Metro screen they are a small production house that may have job adds (in an over saturated market). http://metroscreen.org.au/ http://metroscreen.org.au/category/jobs/

Good luck.

• @BaraBara , for NZ do not bother with Craigslist. Is almost completely empty. Instead check out TradeMe.co.nz, is like NZ's version of eBay, which has absolutely dominated the market and a lot of other related areas too (such as real estate). TradeMe swallows up a HUGE chunk of NZ internet traffic!

I'm not sure what site is best in Australia to find flatmates, but I assume they're got their own one too to check out other than Craigslist.