Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Indian Encounters - BMPCC
  • Get ready for the unexpected - that's what travelling means in India. Run into prayers early morning, shop on markets while monkeys jump over your head ... - I am constantly amazed by this country and it's people! Shot in two days on a short trip to Jamnagar and Delhi.

follow me on twitter: twitter.com/gunmac

Shot in raw on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Voigtlaender 25mm f0.95, SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 and the 14-140 Lumix kit lens. Audio via ZOOM H6 Stereo capsule plus Sennheiser MKE 400 on third channel, fed via "line in" to the BMPCC.

Let me know what you think!

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Nice work!

Questions: Which lens did you use for the golden hour shots between 1:09 and 1:47? And which for the sequence with the monkeys? And which for the musicians at 0:25? Since those ones look particularly good, I wonder whether that's just a result of the good available light or whether lens choices did matter as well.

And which kind of ND filter did you use? Did you combine it with an IR cut filter? And which LUT/workflow did you use for the final grading? It's striking how you achieved good colors - apparently on your first major shoot with the BMPC - while 90% of BMPC material on Vimeo is brownish-muddy because of IR pollution combined with poor grading.

Btw., when one compares this to your older videos shot with GH cameras, the more natural/cinematic colors and smoother graduations (as opposed to 8bit 4:2:0) make a major visible difference.

• Beautiful stuff Gunther! Same planet, but a world away from where I live. You captured the intensity, beauty and even the insanity very well. Amazing, thanks for sharing!

• @cantsin thank you for your nice comments. Golden hour and Monkey's were shot handheld on the standard Lumix 14-140 kit lens, IS helps a great deal there ;-), and the musicians were shot with the Voigtlaender 25mm f0.95. I used exclusively the Heliopan Vari-ND - expensive, but the best in my opinion. No IR cut filter.

Regarding the grading, I tried all different sorts of LUT's (inlc. Captain Hook's) but was not happy at all. Then I started to build everything from scratch, and for the first time I was using Waveform and Vectorscope - yeez, they help a great deal to get the blacks right, etc...!

Regarding the overall image, I am still totally stunned how good it is, unfortunately my GH2 collects dust at the moment ...

• @JuMo yes, this is a totally different world. Thats why I love it ;-)

• @yiannis_zach thank you for watching!

• Always great to see your work! I have a question, you said you shot RAW. What was your workflow for back-up and storage of RAW files in India?

• @GMC would be great if you could save a few of your grades as LUTs (Resolve has an option for that) and share them if you don't mind.

Really interesting that the Panasonic 14-140mm can produce such beautiful images.

• @fancydancer yes I shot raw, and had 2 Sandisk Extreme cards with me - giving me 40mins of raw footage, enough to get me through 2 days.

• @cantsin regarding the LUT's, yes I can try that - I am still learing Resolve. But what I have seen so far from my grading experience, as the light changes constantly LUTs can only give you a rough starting point.