Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Stupid question
  • Nvidia's new processor is the latest in the Tegra family, succeeding last year's Tegra 4. The new chip isn't an iterative spec bump of yesterday's hardware, however. Here, the processor's Kepler GPU promises to bring laptop-class computing and gaming power to mobile devices, without sacrificing battery life in the process. The 192 cores (a number that should not be confused with dual- and quad-core nomenclature) in the Kepler Mobile GPU is a small chunk of power taken from a laptop- or desktop-class computer, but outstrips the 72 cores of the Tegra 4.

Can anyone tell me why you need tabled with "laptop-class gaming power" and with tiny life time (if you run such games)?

Tegra 4 had been full blown disaster to NVidia and it seems like they are strongly intended to repeat it.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Materialism Democratic (Capitalism). They found a new way to sell toys and they are doing it big for more and more and more and more and more... And thousands kilometers from here, in Congo, people die just because the corporations needs the mineral resources to make their tablets. Sad world.

Honestly now, it is purely useless. They shouldn't be in such hurries to quickly sell things out for the sake of doing it. I don't even understand why they are selling more than 10 new graphics cards per year just with minor different spec and price. One low end, one middle end and one high end product should be more than enough and it shouldn't come out so rapidly and for so unnecessary purpose. The question ain't stupid, but the facts are.

• I don't even understand why they are selling more than 10 new graphics cards per year just with minor different spec and price. One low end, one middle end and one high end product should be more than enough and it shouldn't come out so rapidly and for so unnecessary purpose. The question ain't stupid, but the facts are.

I call it "we have people - now let's find something to do for them" problem. Marketing guys, engineers, designers, etc all need to work. And you literally propose big cuts as they won't be required if you have small number of products.

• I never thought of it in this perspective but you are right. How could all of this change in a positive term for everyone in your opinion?