Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
XLR cable. Is this worth paying extra for?
  • I have to buy an XLR cable for recording two things:

1. In a studio for voiceovers and
    2. For recording on set film audio.

However, I don't know which of these to get. Both are very highly reviewed and both have VERY different price points.

The cables in question:

Mogami Gold Studio 15 Microphone Cable Quad Conductor http://www.amazon.com/Mogami-Gold-St.../dp/B0002E1P30

GLS Audio 25 foot Mic Cable http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Cabl.../dp/B003JJQMD8

Is one really worth 3X the other one in terms of quality? Would either of them be appropriate for BOTH studio and on set film work?

Thank you for reading.

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Mogami's are the standard. They're the best. Most won't notice how great they are until they compare side by side with a cheaply made cable just how much harmonic color and clarity is lost by using a cheap cable. And even then you don't really notice it until you add a quality compressor to the mix and start bringing up the noise floor.

Keep in mind there are a TON of factors that go into your sound quality, and they add up quickly.

Cheap mic + cheap cable + plus bad mic placement + plus bad environment + bad recording medium = the sound you get.... which will be bad.

Versus a high quality option plugged into any one of those categories will all result in different levels of quality. It's up to you where you decide to compromise.

But chances are, unless you have a trained ear... you'll probably never know any difference.

• Most won't notice how great they are until they compare side by side with a cheaply made cable just how much harmonic color and clarity is lost by using a cheap cable.

Do you have any measurements?

As all my tries showed that only thing that actually important in cables is proper connectors (I mean good quality ones as you'll use them for long) and more or less good mike cable. To have "harmonic color and clarity" measurable you need either really bad long cable or just something defective.

• I have Mogami as well as may other quality and price levels of cable. IMO unless you have a noise issue caused by a short in a wire, most people won't notice the difference in sound quality between one brand vs another. Just stay away from cheap cables that can't handle being abused. My Mogami never leave my studio. I use other brands out in the field, that cost less but are of good quality. I'd go with the GLS for use in the field.

• So why wouldn't you use the Mogamis out in the field? What other brands do you use when you are out in the field?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I don't have any study done to prove a measurable difference between different cables, but I wouldn't say that no one can hear the difference either. After decades of mixing recordings I do know that I can hear differences and just aspects of audio in general that most people are unaware of unless I go out of my way to make them aware of it. However, what a person is listening to audio on and where they're listening also factor in. So the differences may end up inconsequential for most people. What I can hear sitting in an acoustically tuned room with a very high quality sound system is much different than another environment and sound source.

After meticulously choosing all the other gear in a signal chain, the last aspect may be the choice of cables and at that point someone can try different brands and see if they hear anything different and have a preference. Perhaps the original poster could go down to a local shop and test the cables to see if he hears anything of consequence using the field recorder, mic and headphones he'll be using.

• I don't have any study done to prove a measurable difference between different cables, but I wouldn't say that no one can hear the difference either.

All studies that I saw (very big amount of proper double blind tests) show that if cable in not faulty and with proper gauge for the task no one can hear any difference.

Testing cables by ear is last thing anyone should do. As it is just idiotic time waste. Especially mike cables that are fully utilitarian. All you need is good connectors and durability.

Most of time pros I know use Neutrik or similar quality connector and just good mike cable soldered by hand so they have proper lengths they really need.

• I use Live Wires in the field cuz they are guaranteed for life. If anything goes bad, they replace it for free. But I use Mogami's in the studio. Especially for long runs. The only reason is: I never have any issues with them... ever. No shorts, no hum, no issues. Just my personal experience.

But since cables get abused in the field no matter what you do, I use the Live Wires

http://www.livewire-usa.com/

• @acuriousman, what is the setup you're using in the field? That gear is likely to be a more limiting factor in the overall sound than what brand cable you use. The better the gear you're using the more important the cable will likely be. If the gear has a high noise floor and isn't very accurate then the last thing you'd be worried about is the cable. But let's say you are using very high quality recorder and mic, that still doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money on the cable in order to get good sound. With cables were not talking about a part of the signal chain that really has a huge impact on the sound quality when talking about reasonably short runs of cable. However, you do want great connectors, soldering points on the wire and a cable that is well protected against wear and interference.

• @Aria I'll be using a Neumann TLM 102/103 in studio. With a Sennheiser MKH 416, and an MKH 50 for on set work.

Using a Sound Devices 633.

• Anyone who thinks that a Mogami cable less than 100' is going to sound "better" than some generic XLR cable that is not defective or wired improperly is either a) trying to sell you the cable, or b) has been duped into buying said cable and is trying to convince themselves that a fool and his money are NOT soon parted.

@Aria I will film myself making 15 recordings, 12 using a generic made-in-China XLR cable and 3 using a Mogami. I'll happily post it on YouTube along with an admission of my utter incompetence if you post a video of yourself listening and correctly identifying 2 of the recordings made with the Mogami and explaining the differences.

• If you have microphones that are susceptible to RF then you better get cables that have sufficient sheathing.
    Otherwise balanced lines shouldn't have to many differences among each other, although better brands will probably have better craftsmanship.. I can't get +48v on a cheap chinese cable, but it will run balanced line fine.

When it comes to unbalanced lines, you better go with a good brand, period.

• I don't know anyone who uses Mogami. Mostly it is Canare and Gotham. Gotham is the best, followed by Canare. The difference is only important in seriously long cable runs, hundreds of feet. It isn't just the sound, it is cable flexibility, copper quality, how long they last, whether the casing cracks, etc., etc. I have really old Canare and Gotham stuff that is still fine.

Everyone has their faves. If you think Mogami is cool, and you know how to wire it up in quad, go for it. There is also "open quad", useful in certain situations. I don't use it.

NB Belden "digital" AES cable is great for audio and has low capacitance if you need it.

I used to solder my own Canare Quad cables. I have thousands of feet of cable for recording orchestras (thank God for MADI, BTW, no more cables.) However, I found a guy in Reno who has perfect soldering skills and makes super quality cables. So I just buy from him, he sells them on eBay. He is a retired guy who makes great cables. What's not to like. http://www.renoaudiotrade.com/About/about_us.htm

Take the Neutrik cover off, and you will see a perfectly soldered cable. IMHO the solder is the most important part, assuming you are not buying the cheap stuff.| Most cable simply isn't soldered very well. The solder goes "cold", and that is that.

Incidentally, you can also obsess about gold vs silver connectors. I actually match them to the mics. If the mics have silver, I use silver, or gold on gold. That's because gold on silver generates an electrical current. Like I said, only for the obsessive.

Here's a 20 footer for $23. A no-brainer for Canare Star Quad, with Neutrik connectors. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Canare-L-4E6S-L4E6S-MICROPHONE-MIC-CABLE-NEUTRIK-XLR-NC3FXX-B-NC3MXX-B-Black-/300792050920?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item46089a74e8

I have a truckload of Canare, mostly hundred footers, and quad snakes and the truck has special suspension for the weight. But now it is MADI. One cable to rule them all.

There is also ribbon cable that goes under doors. I have quite a lot of that as well.

Is quad, or shielding worth it? They are both worth it. They shield for two different things. The max shielding is the Gotham Quad, two types of shielding. Most people find the Canare Star quad to be sufficient. You will always remember your first recording gig when the noise comes right through the shielding and affixes itself permanently to your soundtrack.

• As an electrical engineer AND a recording engineer I feel I can dispell all the BS about cables.. At audio frequencies, most decent quality cable (GLS is perfectly usable cable..) will not affect your audio at all. People are going to argue about that but pseudo-science is not proof, and the proof says you won't have any issue with signal quality.

Cheap cable does have some physical drawbacks though. Most cheap cable will twist inside it's insulation and after repeated coilings will start to get "warts" under the insulation where the conductors are being bound up and kinked.

Quad cable supposedly helps break up EMI ingress but the science says otherwise. A good balance between the differential conductors is more important to noise immunity than having special configurations of conductors, in reality. Quad cable has a lot more capacitance, which has the potential to degrade super high frequencies, but again, at audio frequencies, it won't be a problem. Just don't use quad for any type of digital connections like AES/EBU or anything else like that.

@Spacewig You hit the nail on the head. Most cable is going to be just fine for studio length runs. Longer runs inside buildings and things need lower cap cable and special types, but for typical mic-to-preamp setups, even the cheapest cables will work fine. If someone tries to sell you a cable for any other reason than being a solidly built cable assembly then they are probably just hyping up things that aren't going to gain you anything but a more empty wallet.

The other issue is connector quality. I have a few sets of the GLS cables in the rainbow colors. They work just fine in a daily recording situation because the connectors are essentially Neutrik knock-offs of pretty decent quality. They aren't perfect knockoffs but they are solid enough that I've never broken a connector. They even have the finger-style strain reliefs for the cable insulation which I think is mandatory. The older switchcraft-style connectors with the crimp type strain reliefs really suck and tend to come loose after a while.

I've only had to solder a couple conductors over the years after some hard abuse, but for the most part they have held up better than any other cables I've had for 3x the money. I'd buy them again when I need to replace any of mine in the future... And no, I don't work for them or anything but GLS treated me well in the past by happily allowing me to keep an extra set of cables they sent me by accident.

• At 100 meters, cable with less than stellar capacitance has the bandwidth of a pocket sized, Sony AM $10 transistor radio from the early 80s. Extensive test were done by the Benchmark group when developing their high end mic pres.

But it isn't about just the sound, it is about noise, interference, handling and so on. Noise EMI (also RF) etc--the science supports this, and the best is Gotham Quad-wired, Double Reussen shielded. GAC 4/1. Quad+DR Shielding is the best combo. However, most people will get along with either DR or quad. It is debatable whether the DR is the better choice here. Either way, you can get a mighty fine cable at a very cheap price.

http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/assemblies/GAC-41_audiophilebalancedinterconnect.htm

However, anyone is welcome to use cheaper cable! Many years ago, I did just that, until I had a whole, live session completely ruined by noise. If you do use cheaper cable, solder it in quad format.

The 15 foot Mogami quad in the link in the first post is way overpriced, BTW.

• @Spacewig, wrote - "@Aria I will film myself making 15 recordings, 12 using a generic made-in-China XLR cable and 3 using a Mogami. I'll happily post it on YouTube along with an admission of my utter incompetence if you post a video of yourself listening and correctly identifying 2 of the recordings made with the Mogami and explaining the differences."

Don't know why you are challenging me to some test. I never said that I could hear the difference between random cables of short length in a blind test. I just refuse to suggest that "No One" out there is capable of hearing a difference. As an example I mentioned that I know I can hear things that many of my clients can't hear due to years of critical listening. That isn't me saying I can tell the difference between one cable over another at random. I even said that the OP would do just fine with less expensive cables. There have been many good suggestions posted in this thread. Let's just tone down the attitude tho.