Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Story of idiots: Incandescent lamps bans
  • The cry to ban the humble incandescent lamp (also known as GS - general service or GLS - General Lighting Service) may not seem like such a bad idea at first glance, but there are a number of issues that have not been addressed (or even thought about, based on what has been heard so far). Incandescent lamps are inefficient, typically over 95% of all energy consumed is converted into heat - not light. By comparison, the CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) has a dramatically higher efficiency, although it falls well short of a full sized (18W or 36W) standard fluorescent tube.

Check the best article on topic that I know http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Yep, our dear bureaucrats in the EU commission went head first into this one. Ban the good ol' inefficient but simple bulbs for highly toxic, complicated CFLs. I predict a shameful outcome when the effective pro/con balance is made in a couple of years.

• I predict a shameful outcome when the effective pro/con balance is made in a couple of years.

Something tells me that they do not care about outcome.

They care about interests. Same was with asbestos and Freon.