Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 useful noise threshold for stills?
  • Trying out some high iso (4 digits) shots and I have to say 80% of them look awful to me (I'm on GH2).

This summer I had an opportunity to talk with a Nikon D800 owner who told me he always goes high ISO and he said he can use basically 80% of cameras noise levels without any quality worries.

Why can't my GH2 shoot useful stills with ISO 1000 or more...

Not to mention that I can go all the way to 12000 but anything over 2000 in my opinion is trash, except maybe for shooting B&W night photos...

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I usually try not to go over 1000 cause with will turn up pretty bad. Try to shoot in raw and use some de-noiser and see if that makes any diffrence. I remember that GF3 that I had made better pictures that GH2.

• I always shoot RAW and I even got Noiseware software to clean up the noise better but it softness the image way too much...

I'm not trying to say GH2 should output D4 type of stills, but it kinda seems frustrating to have 5-6 levels of useful ISO and 20 other levels that have no purpose :D