Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Collection of possibilities to use internal Audio on the BMPCC
  • In this thread I want to collect the possibilities to use internal audio on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I am very interested to get the smallest possible setup, as everything else defys the purpose of a "pocket" cam. Of course I also use a rice bag for stabilization, can be placed on any solid groud with the cam pointing in any direction you want. Works perfectly fine, as I hate tripods!

Now, when using the Sennheiser MKE 400 with the volume switch to "+" (gives +20dB output) still the audio in the internally recorded .wav file (when using RAW mode) is barely audible. On my GH2 for example I have to use internal mic setting "1" otherwise sound gets distorted, hence the mic is rather hot. Of course audio in BMPCC was set to 100% level, input to "mic" not "line". I have to push it in post +24dB to get a decent soud level. This unfortunately also increases noise.

Now, @spacewig has commented that using "line" input gives good results, unity gain (in BMPCC) = 65% setting, every tick up or down equal to about 0.75dB. Channel 1 to 65% and channel 2 to 5% as a 8dB safety track. 65% setting should be used if preamp outputs consumer audio -10dB (professional audio +4dV gain is at 0%).

What are you guys using - ideally (small setup) I would like to stick to a plug in mic.

BMPCC.jpg
    613 x 717 - 28K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I'm using the Rode VMP (+20db) with decent results.

• As far as I remember JuicedLink made specific stuff, you can check Sound category for them.

• @Flaaandeeers do you have to push the sound level in post with the Rode VMP? As said above, with the Sennheiser (+20dB) I have to push heavily in post (+24dB) to get audible results.

• Hi there, I have tested the blackmagic Pocket with 3 microphones; Internal, rode videomic and rode NTG2 (with beachteck dxa-slr). Here comes an sample.

• @GMC I´m using the ZOOM H1 as mic (from the H1 and others pluged in) and preamp with good results.

• someone really needs to design a snap on stereo mic like the rode ones for the iphone for the pocket.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/ixy