Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tweeters measurements
  • I often hear people babble on about the shimmer, sparkle and air of ribbon tweeters. These tests show where these "special effects" are coming from - distortion. Ribbons do have a unique distortion profile that many will find enjoyable with some music. That's OK, and it does not have to relfect badly on your "golden ear" status. However, if accuracy to the original signal is what you are after, one of these ribbons may not be the best solution. Ribbons are certainly not the best solution if you want to build a high-value system.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • I believe it. It's also the reason that ribbon mics are liked very much. The curve of the frequency response and the distortions fit the profile of human hearing very well.

That's only part of the reason I chose the Vifa XT25 for my builds even after so many said I should use ribbons.

One of the more respected builders doesn't seem to ever use ribbons for anything: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm#INDEX