Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is there a software or plugin to reposition, sync and link two panoramic movements?
  • The camera is on tripod, so I shoot one pan from left to right exposed to the sky. And then I shoot a second pan from left to right exposed to the shadows. My goal is to combine these two pans in post to increase dynamic range. I do not have a motorized tripod head, and the pans will be made by my hand moving the tripod head... So, is there a software to adjust each frame position to match one pan with the other? Some kind of similar effect used to make titles moves togheter with the image movement... Any suggestion? Thanks.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Something tells me that for CMOS with rolling shutter results will be bad. As you won't match moments of frame scan and you even won't match speed.

Otherwise you need to ask 3D guys.

• If it's for a single one-time special project type of thing, perhaps you could do it manually frame by frame. With a 5 second pan at 24 fps that's only 120 frames.

• @matt_gh2

3D guys who shoot using two cameras must have suitable methods for sync. But I fear that here it'll be much harder.

• What about some type of hack setting where you shoot 60 fps, and the frames are exposed alternating from 1 frame exposed for highlights, then 1 frame for shadows, then 1 frame for highlights, and 1 frame for shadows, and have hack setting continue this for the whole recording. Then in editor, blend every 2 frames into 1, which should give you 30 fps with HDR high dynamic range look. Possible or just a dream?

(This way you only pan one time)

• @matt_gh2 thanks for the tips, reposition the frames manualy will work if there are few frames, in ebay I found a motorized tripod head for 99 and other for 199, it could make the two pans at same speed, also why not use the t3i with magic lantern hdr video? resolution is lower comparing with gh2 but for this task it is more apropriate, it does the different iso in the frames.

• Mount two cameras on top of each other with different exposure settings. Start recording on both, clap for sync and pan?

• @apefos I like T3i idea for simplicity. Assuming it will match any other footage for this project shot on different cameras, its probably best and easiest solution. Plus you could probably easily rent a T3i as shops have lots of Canon cameras and lenses.