Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zoom H6 vs Juicedlink?
  • Hello everybody.

I'm looking for record some great audio with my XLR mic and I was wondering which of these two would be better?

The Zoom H6 or something like a Juicelink or Beachtek?

Thank you for reading. :)

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • It depends. Provide more information :-)

• H6 provides pre-amps plus recording ability. You're effectively splitting sound and video and will need to rejoin in post - which can be painful. However, it means your sound is free from the camera and can be operated more easy by a sound person.

JuicedLink/Beachtek gives you pre-amps but no recording, where you'd normally output direct to camera. No sync sound jobs with this method, but depending on the camera you are using monitoring can be difficult. GH2 and some lower end Canon's (I believe) don't have a headphone socket and Blackmagic doesn't have audio meters.

The pre-amps in the JuicedLink are supposedly higher quality than most entry level recorders (including the H6)

• As somebody who uses a Juicedlink preamp I would say that the preamps are better than the H6 but you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference with good mic and placement. As itimjim said the Juicedlink unit is more suitable for oneman operation, camera/sound. The H6 is not the ideal form factor for mounting to a camera rig. I also is not a good outdoor device in terms of ruggedness and lcd display, you'll likely need a hood to see it in bright light. It is a better solution than the Juiced link for dual sound though and offers a fairly good recording approach for that purpose (although personally I'd avoid the clunky/gimmicky modules and just use your own mikes). I have used the juicedlink in conjunction with a cheap digital recorder to get decent dual sound but that's 2 systems, 2 batteries, clunky, etc. (Sound was perfectly acceptable for dialogue.)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I'll be recording indoor dialogue with a Panasonic GH3.

• When using the JL the quality of the GH3 audio circuitry becomes the limiting factor, not the preamps. If you see the Juicedlink video comparing the H6, Tascam and JL you can hear the impact of the GH3 on the recording.

Fran