Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic ends plasma production
  • Osaka, Japan – Panasonic Corporation today announced that in order to create a business structure that can respond to changes in the business environment and to accelerate the growth strategy of the company, the company will end the production of plasma display panels (PDP) in December 2013, and stop business operations at the Amagasaki P3 Factory (production currently stopped), the Amagasaki P5 Factory (production currently suspended), and the Amagasaki P4 Factory, which is currently operating, by the end of March 2014.

Via: http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/2013/10/en131031-8/en131031-8.pdf

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Sad, they had grate plasma panels, but there are new tech to come, like oled, that shit need money and Factorys.

• OLED now is one huge failure. And no solution in sight.

• why it is a failure?

• why it is a failure?

I mean here panels suitable for prolonged use, not smartphones.

Too much panels go to waste due to defects, high costs, still not very reliable.

• @endotoxic me personally I love my panasonic plasma, but maybe I'm old school. Without going too off topic I'm wondering how people compare large plasma panels to large LCD/LED.

• Without going too off topic I'm wondering how people compare large plasma panels to large LCD/LED.

It is not important how they compare, it is important how margins for manufacturers and retail compare. And this is where the problem is :-)

• @VK what's your personal opinion from tech point of view about plasma v LCD/LED.

• From tech point of view LCD is better for eyes, and is more consistent along entire life usually.

Average plasma usually have better colors compared to average LCD. Latest plasmas have various methods to make them cheaper - cheaper and worst power suppliers that are very important for plasmas (as they have high hikes in consumption depending on scene). Many of new plasmas have some noise from power supply elements. Fans are very frequent. Also all cases are cheap.

• fuck. I love Plasma screens, and Panny made the best!!

fucking hate LED and LCD they look like shit... color smearing, bad reproduction. I was too young to get outraged at the Laser disc discontinuation, so I guess this is my own little crisis of tech faith.

• I was planning to get me a Panny plasma, now I am asking myself should I wait a lil and maybe price goes down?

• It probably was not practical or cheap enough to build 4K plasma tv.

My next TV will still be a Pana plasma until 4k comes down in price, ZT65 anyone :) ?