Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Severe global warming
  • In September, 2.36 million square kilometers (911,000 square miles) of northern Europe and Asia were covered by snow, according to the Rutgers University Global Snow Lab. That compared with the 1981-2010 mean of 1.5 million.

“It’s running well above normal,” said Matt Rogers, president of Commodity Weather Group LLC, a commercial forecaster in Bethesda, Maryland. “Through the last week of September, it’s the highest snow total in Eurasia since 1977.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-24/if-new-york-freezes-in-january-blame-siberian-snow-now.html

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • During the winter of 2011-2012, when there wasn’t as much of an impact from the Arctic Oscillation, 7.4 inches fell in New York, the sixth-lowest level on record

In order to cherry-pick a period with high median snowfall, they had to conveniently stop at 2010.

• In order to cherry-pick a period with high median snowfall

They did not "cherry-pick" anything. Article is about correlation of snow amounts and further weather. And it is absolutely clear that sometimes it is big amounts of snow, sometimes not so much. :-)

• I'd think with global warming comes more snowfall. As more water is in the oceans, oceans have a higher temp., more watervapor will be absorbed in the warmer atmosphere, so possibly larger amounts of rain and/or snow.

There will always be extremes both ways.

Don't know where I've read it but solar activity also plays a large role in earth temperatures. Ah well, there will always be people who say global warming is caused by man, others will say temp. is simply fluctuating, always has and always will. Perhaps it's a little bit of both...

• Yes, there are individual years that don't fit the curve. but if you look at the grander scale (over a long period of time), there's a trend toward increasing temperatures.

I also had heard about that warmer global temperature leading to increased amounts of precipitation, as well as drastic weather in either direction

• Global warming and Frozen methane release: