Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 Aperture Priority Mode with Manual lens
  • Hi Guys, Googled this but cant find much on it. Doing lots of live event multi cam shoots and keep getting caught with low light sections. Normally have GH cams set full manual and expose to the max light setting centre stage on a caucasian face. Problem is when lights go down ( which they can do for whole sections) it goes too dark to see performers. While quality is excellent with full manual, Im thinking I might be better served with a bit more latitude. So question, I tested out my GH1 with a Canon FD f1.4 on Aperture Priority mode in menu. It seems to work well, It brightens to a bit lighter than human eye in dark areas (at 25 shutter I presume) and controls bright areas well due to increasing the shutter speed. Only thing that worries me is with the faster shutter speeds when lights are bright will I get any strobing or other detrimental effects due to high shutter speeds? Any thoughts appreciated.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • @s_maurice, I just did a little test and didn't see any strobing. I couldn't get the camera to produce any strobing no matter what I did. I think with a Canon lens or any other non m4/3 lens it's not working the way it might normally work in Aperture Priority Mode, in terms of changing the shutter speed. Remember that it would adjust based on the Aperture but it's not getting that info from the lens. I could be wrong but I think the camera is doing something else to effect the exposure.

• @s_maurice You'll get flicker from the lights, and you risk some unwanted exposure changes, if you move the camera around, metering might go berserk on you.

• @Aria yep same, just been round my house and tried downlights, flouros and tungstens, only strobing I could get was when up very close to my 50" plasma TV. It still must be changing the shutter speed though, because iso is set. I just hope its in increments of 25. eg. 25 50 100 etc with no 30 60 80 120 in there.

@inqb8tr Exposure change is okay as Im going to use it as the wide locked off shot. The change in testing- shoot out window at bright sunny day, to, drop down to dark shot of power board under desk, is quite smooth, not like in shutter priority mode. Just have to test it on a show I guess.