Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
LinkedIn: is it any good for your profession?
  • How many people are (seriously) using LinkedIn for their video making job? Do you find it useful? Which groups do you follow and are worth following? I think it would be useful to share general opinions and experiences (good or bad) in this thread.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • I've got an account I honestly don't remember even signing up for, and sometimes people ask to be connected and endorse me for things, and I try to endorse back when I can. But I haven't used it to look for work or anything like that, so I can't say how effective it would be.

• I really don't like LinkedIn. I have one, but it's not at all friendly for those of us who do jobs that aren't longterm endeavors (aka Freelancers). For example, when you list experiences/jobs, they make you choose dates by "this month" to "that month" – which doesn't make since when you do work gigs that last days/weeks.

I also don't like the way they do "connections". Maybe I'm missing a feature or function of their site, but it's just not seeming freelancer-friendly to me.

• +1 linkedin feels awkward for freelancers. Seems tailor made for corporate types climbing the ladders of big organizations.

I've had an account for a long time and have many connections, but its never had any impact, professional or otherwise. Facebook, on the other hand, is a very useful tool.

• I'm on it though I don't really know why. I've had some decent interaction on an architectural photography group that acts like a forum and occasionally discusses video, that's about it.

• I've been told by some people that it can be very useful for work if you are "active", like making interesting posts, following groups, etc. But they weren't in the video making field. I'm starting to get more involved with it, but video-related groups I've found so far don't seem to be very "alive"

• I'm in BTL Marketing, and I got my current job from a headhunter who saw my profile.

• Not yet. I keep that account so that I have something to delete from my email inbox five times a day.

• ^+1 You get lots of great spam to constantly clear out.

• It's basically a professional-oriented Facebook. Unfortunately, what I've seen, the discussions tend to be no better than public forums on the same subject. The filmmaking and production discussions I've looked into tend to be full of rather awful ideas.

As an online resume with peer endorsements it's a good reference for headhunters, HR-bots and the like, however.

• Main difference is that LinkedIn sell all information to various HR and firms.

• Ok. Here's my proposal: what about joining our forces, creating a brand new video-making group on LinkedIn, populating it with people from PV, making it "alive", see how/if it gets the attention of other (external) professionals in the field and maybe establish a link with potential jobs/clients/networks already present on LinkedIn? That would be a (hopefully?) concrete bridge between PV and the professional world, an "embassy", a showcase, a taste of the professional potential which populates this forum. Just an experiment of course, and with no explicit link to PV, except the common intent of willing PV users to populate the group.

Please @Vitaliy_Kiselev tell me if this somehow goes against PV policy and I will withdraw my proposal instantly

EDIT: I slept on it. Poor idea. Forget it