Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 focus default on power up question
  • I did some reading, but couldn't find a link to a post, however. My apologies if this is redundant.

In MF mode, I set the focus to where my interview subject will be seated. To save battery from time to time, I power down the camera during down time. When I power the camera back up, the focus has defaulted to infinity. How do I stop this from happening?

Thank you everyone.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • It´s not possible as far as I know (because of the focus by wire system it always sets the position to a fixed value as soon as you restart the camera - And infinity is the most useful standard setting). BUT: You can prevent this by using manual glass for example. There you can set the aperture AND your focus point once and it stays in place.

Another solution is maybe to use an external battery pack - I achieve about 10 hours with one F970 Battery (and a DC Dummy for the DH2). AND don´t forget - The GH2 also is equipped with a "sleep mode" (with one up to 10 minutes of activation timer). Just use it and you will also save energy (and the settings will stay as chosen). ^^

• With GH2 it's not possible, but not because of focus by wire. Olympus Pen does remember focus distance in manual focus mode when powered up, so technically it is possible. I also frequently power down and have to constantly redo focus -- in high bitrate patches you usually have to power down and up to be able to review shot footage.