Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale
  • Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X. We received word that Apple had issued a memo this afternoon announcing re-availability of the product.

We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999 (and $899 for educational customers). The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

Via: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/01/apple-puts-legacy-final-cut-pro-studio-back-on-sale/

Did Apple made a big mistake with FCPX?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I've had FCPX since it came out. I will continue to use FCP7 if I need to revisit older projects, since you can't import those projects into FCPX yet, but for the most part I made the switch and haven't looked back.
  • I think Apple did the right thing offering both, since I don't think they should've completely stopped selling it in the 1st place. I think in time people will grow to appreciate FCPX. Everyday I read more and more positive posts about FCPX.
  • @Aria I'm sure you would want to try and be positive if you spent a couple hundreds bucks on it too. :P
  • @x_worpig_x, I don't think it had anything to do with the money. In fact as software goes it's one the best bang for your buck tools out there. I mean $300.00 is nothing for such software IMO. The average user will find a faster and easier to use program so why shouldn't there be some positive reviews. Not everyone has the same needs from Video editing suites as the production house crowd. This software will be a welcome tool for a HUGE segment of the market place.

Just think about how the entire digital world has evolved. Heck my iPhone can record decent video not to mention all the point and shoot cameras that can as well. The field of video editing is gonna grow exponentially and most won't be power users, but newbies that will be happy with an easier and faster editing program. Just look at the overwhelming numbers of people on youtube and vimeo and a lot of them are doing multicam, high end video for a major production.
  • Does this mean they will support with future updates, because if they don't what's the use of buying it?
  • @tinyrobot, what sort of updates to FCP 7 do mean? I think it's still a closed product line. Why would they go back to working on a code that they've abandoned for a fresh code? They really don't want people staying with 7. They want people to eventually move on to FCPX and that's where all the development will be.
  • After almost 10 years of using Final Cut, I bought FCPX the second day it was out and I hated it very soon and very deeply. I was ready to move to Premiere and downloaded the demo version. But before to deinstall X, I wanted to give it a serious chance, I don't even know way.
    A "serious chance" for me means only one thing: it means to tell to myself: "well, I will do this job with this software, no matter what it happens, I will get it done with this tool".
    Well, I am glad I gave X that chance, because it turned to be a very well designed software, far superior to 7 in every respect. I strongly suggest to use it for a while, it is worth it. For example Just try a simple or layered color correction, or try to use a mask and keyframe it. If you ever tried to do this in FCP7 you know the nightmare it is and you know what I am talking about. In X this is smooth like silk.
    Yes, at the moment it has not multi cam support, but Apple will implement it, it is a priority for them. In the meantime I could edit a ballet 1h40" long with 6 cameras without multi cam support and without big problems.
    Yes, it was longer than with FCP7, but the time I lost for lack of multi cam support, I gained in color correction and matching color among the six cameras. And at the end of the day it was a much more pleasant experience than when I did similar jobs with FCP7 or FCP6 and their multicam capabilities.
    Maybe it is different for "professionals", but from an "artistic" point of view it is a great software.

(Off topic, sorry: IMHO all this stuff of "professionals" is a myth. If we talk about Hollywood, "professional" means "creative", "artistic", "top quality", and so way. But in many other field a "professional" is often only some one who MUST do a lot of "correct" work in a very short time. It is not artistic stuff, it is kind of being like a clerk. For those people if a tool in a software changes position it is upsetting, as it can means they will not meet their deadlines. So this people of course will blame the new software. It has not much to do with the software itself. When and if they will became acquainted with the new way of editing they will not want it to change and they will blame the future FCPK regretting the old-good-tank-solid-FCPX...)