Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sudan: Same thing, same thing
  • Deadly protests have rocked several Sudanese cities since Sunday, when the government lifted subsidies on gasoline, nearly doubling the price in an increase that is bound to create a domino effect on other goods.

“The economic situation is just painful,” said one protester, Moyasser, 25, who did not want his full name used out of fear of government reprisals.

The demonstrations broke out across greater Khartoum, with some leading to the destruction of public property like buses and gas stations. One witness saw at least six burned cars on Africa Road in Khartoum; another saw protesters throw rocks at cars and block a road with burning tires and bricks.

Activists say that at least 100 are believed to have been killed, mostly by the government, with hospitals flooded. Security and police forces have used live ammunition as well as tear gas and batons to break up the protests.

Just witness the future :-) Energy problems always make problems across all sectors.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • This is actually another problem called subsidy and it is not specific to Sudan. Fuel subsidies were put in place as means to help the poor by keeping commodity prices low, but the ever increasing use of subsidized fuel for personal use creates a situation where subsidies actually end up benefiting the middle and upper class.

This is a economical time bomb waiting to explode and something governments fear to address for losing on popularity. The more time subsidies are in place, the more warped the public perception of fair price will be. The protests tell us it got horribly warped for Sudan.

• @ppcroft

LOL.

I think you have bad understanding of Sudan issues that people have every day. With all this "benefiting the middle and upper class".

I also see ulta liberal tones. And stating that making prices higher could fix something.

Situation is more serious and more simple. As it is purely enegry issue, with quickly rising population, issues with big countries dividing country for their energy interestes, etc.

• My comments were not specific to Sudan alone. There are so many countries with deep problems on account of fuel subsidies (India, Indonesia etc.). The sudden rise of oil cost in the past few years have literally blown the governments out their reluctance to stop the subsidies for fear of public outrage.

Energy problems are real and they will be there regardless of whether fuel is subsidized or not. The protests that you mentioned stems from public expectation of subsidized fuel even when it may be detrimental to the economy at large.

• Subsidies solve the problems, they are not problem. Again, such view is ultra liberal view.

It is not that goverment "realised how subsidies are bad". It is because population numbers and actions of enemies of this country (usually called developed nations otherwise) made it impossible to provide enough fuel.

• Subsidies solve 'some' problems, not all. Subsidies create problems on their own too. If subsidies are so helpful, all that we need to do is to subsidize everything and all our problems will vanish. In reality there is no such thing as a free lunch. Oil imports put considerable pressure on trade balance of many countries and fuel subsidies will be most badly felt in such countries.

Even if the country has sufficient fuel reserves, it could still be a wise decision to allow market dictate the prices.

I do not know what ultra liberals stand for. But if fuel prices keep rising, more and more countries will abolish fuel subsidies. That is for sure.

• @ppcroft

Ultra liberals stand for same thing you stand. Mythical "free market" and "market dictate the prices".

As for "free lunch". Thing is absence of "free lunch", as you expressed it, for Sudan people means mostly that someone else will have "free lunch". Usually it is developed nations. Check and compare per capita energy consumption.

I think something bad is happening with education and media if we have such positions common for many people.

• OK show me one country where everything subsidized and is still going well and you would have managed to get rid of one person with an unintended ultra liberal pretensions. :-)

Saying 'Subsidies solve the problems, they are not problem' is a sweeping comment and suggest countries are being stupid to be ignorant to such a simple measures. Fact is politicians and rulers simply won't be interested to abolish any subsidy unless they are forced to.

• @ppcroft

Do not put everything to meaningless extremes. In almost each country something is subsidized. And the less developed country is, the more "free" is their market. This market of colonies being same as it was hundreds of years ago.

Get EU, US and other developed countries agriculture subsidies in all their forms. Removing them will have direct and very unplieasant consequences.

Subsidies happen if you want to distribute something to someone who can't afford it for now, or distribute it more even. Society is made to keep and improve human being living. Not to impose "free market" and fuck people.

• I never took an extreme position on subsidies. They help, especially when it encourages production (farmers who get less than fair price for their effort are often get subsidies for a reason) where as fuel price subsidies have been found to be counter productive in many instances.

When subsidies divert funds that could be put to better use elsewhere, rethinking becomes necessary. Problem with subsidies are that they 'create' dependencies that prevents 'healing' of the problem the subsidy was intended to help. Political repercussions often prevents a rational evaluation of subsidies on a timely manner..When a rethinking of subsidies become necessary due to changed ground realities, things are already in drastic state and there is not enough political will because beneficiaries of the subsidies see it from narrow personal levels. It is often the case that real beneficiaries of the subsidies are the ruling class.

So it is pointless to glorify subsidies as an end in itself. Like anything in life, if used wisely they could benefit and that implies that reality checks need to be conducted every time to see if they achieve the goals.

• When a rethinking of subsidies become necessary due to changed ground realities, things are already in drastic state and there is not enough political will because beneficiaries of the subsidies see it from narrow personal levels.

Sometimes I pray that some force will transfer such guys as you directly into Sudan or Yemen and let you live a year or two of their life. After this we'll talk about same thing and how you view all this. Unfortunately I almost certain that you won't survive or could find you in nearby embassy.

Thing you wrote here seems smart, initially. If you do not think on them. But if you think, it looks horrible.

Why certain EU countries have right to make huge subsidies, but another ones are fully broke and are imposed to only rules of "free market"? Why US, EU first made clashes in Sudan, sponsoring and providing weapons. And after this we see ideas that "it was improper".

It is not improper. It is fight for resources, were one side it completely evil, but somehow managed to have all military force and media resources. And tell us about how effective some things are and how some are not.

If you are small farmer and fuel is 60% of your expenses, huge price rise on fuel does not mean that it is more effective now. It just means that you have big problems and can have problems even with survival of your family.

As for IMF studies and IMF in general. I rpovided good illustration not long ago, all of this people must be sent to Sudan and people must hang them on trees across main roads to teach future "smart professors" that can happen to them.

• All this boils down to where the money saved from scrapping of the subsidies go. If they can be put to better use to create employment and infrastructure or used in a better way for the whole of the society, then this period of difficulties will be a worthy investment in a future. If it is spent on arms and other unproductive things, it will go from bad to worse. You are suggesting subsidies are the only way to go. It need not be.

I am not mentioning anything about countries and their rights to apply subsidies that often is cause for trade disputes. That is another topic and I fully agree with you on the attitude of "do as I say, but not as I do' attitude of some of the countries. I am talking about countries rethinking subsidies, too late, often on their own with changing ground realities. It is rather simplistic to say keep status quo when you do not see the compulsions behind such hugely unpopular decisions that may even undermine the rulers.

I am quite aware of the problems faced by Sudan, especially with the creation of South Sudan. I replied to original post only on the part where people objecting to the subsidies. The problems Sudan faces exist regardless of whether the fuel is subsidized or not. I was also talking subsidies in general, not specific to Sudan alone.

I do not consider Yemen or Sudan to be in Mars and am very well familiar with these countries and its people. My concern for people around me is no less genuine than yours. We seem to have views that are different and that is what makes me come here.

• I do not consider Yemen or Sudan to be in Mars and am very well familiar with these countries and its people. My concern for people around me is no less genuine than yours. We seem to have views that are different and that is what makes me come here.

:-) Thing is that your familiarity is abstract. On thought and words level. This is why you need to live with same life to understand it. As you constantly turn to the smooth and "right" words like "If they can be put to better use to create employment and infrastructure or used in a better way for the whole of the society". Thing is that it is shitty words, as I do not know were this thing actually happened.

Libya had "bad subsidies" and high life level :-( Now they have only "democratic free market" with big guys getting all resources :-)

• Do not mix the emotional impact of a tragic event like a government shooting down 100s of its own people when analyzing the reasons that created it. The killings are deplorable and excessive. There is no two way about it. If you are doubting my empathy on this count, please stop. That was not my point.

There were and still are genuine problems in Sudan with or without the subsidies. I am talking about the delays in addressing the austerity measures in general terms, subsidies being one among them, to the point of them creating shocking impacts in societies when such benefits are forced to be withdrawn. It can happen in Greece or Sudan, but point is that ruling class never do anything in time even when it is obvious that austerity measures are hurting the country in long term. A tapering of subsidies in staged manner would would have been better, but you can take my word that more countries will join the 'inhuman' trend of stopping fuel subsidies.

When such crucial subsidies are withdrawn, it feeds inflation which in turn inflates salaries etc. The corrections sets in, but it takes time. In a short span of time, all of the world went from $40 dollar a barrel crude oil to a shocking reality of $100+ a barrel with drastic consequences across the world, but the adjustments have set in and the world has come to accept 'high' crude oil prices. This is really not much different from oil price increases owing to cessation of subsidies. Once the burden of subsidies are gone, the revenue can be put to better use. Now whether governments actually do put the money to good use is something each country has to decide. Some countries do and some may not. If they cannot, may be you are right. Rather than subsidizing, give completely free food, house and fuel to the people so government cannot get enough funds to misuse. Yes, this makes sense :-)

As for repeatedly alluding to the 'forces' that fucked up other countries for oil or wealth or whatever, yes, you are right. There are countries that does this. This has been happening from the history of mankind. From ancient empires and dynasties to modern countries like Great Britain, USA, Israel ...just to name a few. There may be a few that cannot be named for whatever reasons.. :-)

• Now whether governments actually do put the money to good use is something each country has to decide. Some countries do and some may not. If they cannot, may be you are right. Rather than subsidizing, give completely free food, house and fuel to the people so government cannot get enough funds to misuse.

Thing is, you are going in circles. While point of post was just talking about reality. Bigger amount of people, less energy available and evil guys who get big part of remaining energy. Believe me, it has nothing to do with subsidies and money at all in this part. But in their reality you need subsidies and low energy prices as it is best approach to let economy run (with low production and low energy consumption compared to any developed countries).

As for "force". Generally it never happened in history were crimes against countries were comitted openly but with full cover of mass media (not local, but worldwide) as another division of military.

• As for "force". Generally it never happened in history were crimes against countries were comitted openly but with full cover of mass media (not local, but worldwide) as another division of military.

Well, I worry less about the overt actions. History will put them in perspective. It is the covert agendas that is most cause for concern.

• @ppccroft The problem is much of the covert is hiding in the overt. An interesting read is "Confessions of an Economic Hitman"