Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX7 Photo topic
  • Panasonic LX7 uses wrong ISO in photo mode.

In the last few days, I was testing some pano photos with the camera and found that the camera used wrong ISO to take photos. I set the camera to all manual settings (f2.8, 1/500s, ISO 80, WB to Daylight, focus mode to manual) and shot a series of 8 photos. 5 photos were taken at specified ISO 80 and 3 photos were taken at ISO 125. The focal length was set to 50mm and the focus was set at hyperfocal distance according to the screen. All the photos were taken outdoor. The following day, I tested more pano shots indoor. I took a series of 7 photos and 3 out of the photos were taken at ISO 125. The settings were f2.8, 1/10s, ISO 80, Daylight, 50mm. I attached the first series of photos for you to take a look. All the photos were resized to fit PV. All photos were taken in portrait orientation at 3mpixel and the camera was on a tripod.

By the way, it's not possible to set ISO 125 in photo mode that I know of. There is no "auto" ISO setting either. This is a MAJOR bug on their flagship compact. Panasonic needs to fix the problem quickly.

P1030351_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 484K
    P1030352_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 479K
    P1030353_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 488K
    P1030354_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 565K
    P1030355_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 606K
    P1030356_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 664K
    P1030357_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 555K
    P1030358_small.jpg
    1056 x 704 - 456K
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • @Dusty42

Thanks for post.

Better just add it to LX7 topic. Photo part discussion is absolutely ok in it.

• I had thought about putting it there but I was afraid it would be buried so deep that fellows LX7 users will not see it. I want everyone to know about this bug.

thanks.

• You can just post link in LX7 topic to this one.

And try to make better samples :-)

• Good recommendation on putting the link. I just added one there.

I don't quite understand "And try to make better samples". :) Would you care to elaborate on that, please?

• I don't quite understand "And try to make better samples". :) Would you care to elaborate on that, please?

I mean making better photos that you use as samples. Something more pretty :-) Cat, dog or flower wil do :-)

• Supposedly it will be of an huge advantage to have a whole family of cats... or mixed with dogs... minimum 1 object per photo or you fast has to make the cat move in the direction your camera turns... otherwise you miss the "better samples" cathegory... Have fun SHOOTING ;-)

• Was I.dynamic on? Is ISO 80 an extended ISO setting? I wouldn't consider this to be "MAJOR bug". Can you even tell the difference between ISO 80 and ISO 125?

• In M mode, i.Dynamic is grayed out (not availble) and it showed "off". And yes, people can tell the difference just by looking at the photos. Please take a look at the photos that I posted. You can clearly see that the 3 photos are brighter than the other 5. And yes, it is a MAJOR bug when you need to do a pano.

• Anyone know if Panasonic has a way for users to report bugs? I would like to ask them to fix the battery indicator that disappears 60 seconds after starting a video.

• lX7 users e mail to Mr Pana request newer firmware to fix bugs. Could we all do that

• dpainter,

I did report that bug a long time ago to Panasonic. And I heard only silence. I know Panasonic wants to sell more cameras and in order to do that they need to improve their tech support. This is one of the most important areas that they need to put resources into. I talked to Pana via chat and they told me to reboot the camera! I could not believe it!

I have a Nikon P7700 and had an issue. With just 1 email to tech support, I got 3 answers on the same day and they followed through on the following days to the conclusion. The camera is good but it's extremely slow compare to LX7.

I did some more testing and could almost consistently reproduce the problem with wrong ISO. I also noticed that the ISO changed to 125 on the screen when the problem happened. I need to do more testing so I can tell you how the problem happens.