Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Trying to figure out why my videos are too contrasty and saturated
  • hello everyone! please take a look at the attached images. The two images with the guys in it are mine and I am wondering why they look so saturated and contrasty compared to the picture of the girl (was posted by one of the members here). my images were shot with a gh2 with apocalypse boom on a rokinon 35mm 1.4. with smooth -2 -2 -2 -2. I am sure lighting is a huge issue, but even when i try to light my scenes well...my images always come out to be very contrasty and saturated. Any pointers and tips will be helpful. I am sorry if this is a vague question! I converted the videos through 5dtorgb. Here are the links: http://s21.postimg.org/fgat8j5dz/snap.png http://s23.postimg.org/kcgf3upsb/snap2.png http://s22.postimg.org/fuv5w4t81/snap3.png

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Are these straight out of the camera? Have you tried color grading your video? There are a wide variety of factors that influence the look of your video. The comparison you are making is almost pointless since your subjects, lighting, and background are totally different. Vintage glass tends to have milder contrast than newer lenses like that Rokinon you used. Consider contrast in your production design and wardrobe if you really want to go all out with contrast control.

• @atlzonlyplayer Actually it's impossible to say why your image differs from the image of this girl. Because if we talk about the girl's image then:

1. It's not clear how the video was shot (nostalgic, smooth, etc.).
    2. Was it GH2?
    3. What color temperature was used during the shot.
    4. Was this video graded or not?

Also, your image doesn't look too oversaturated. I suppose it's related to the color temperature of your shot. The level of black in your shot is higher than in the girl's image.

Anyway, you can do anything you want in any color grading software, so these both images will look the same.

• Thanks so much for your replies! @htinla: yes the images are straight out of the camera...I have only tried the simple push pull but it just looks nasty...mostly the skintones just crap out...but the video of the girl grades really well and looks beautiful. The owner of the video was using a zeiss 50 1.8...seems vintage. I may try older glass. Thanks!

@MikailK Im not sure what picture profile it was...I know it was a gh2...lets say I used all natural light for a similar shot like her's in the same type of location...what color temperature would you use? I know that the video was not graded because this was a before/after test. Heres the link:

When you say the level of black is higher in my shot...do you mean that the location im in just has more shadows than her location or its something with my camera settings that I can do to raise the levels?

• the color temp to use depends of the light you have (and/or the effect you want). Not the same on a sunny or a cloudy day, interior or exterior, tungsten or neon etc. Color temp have a huge impact on color renditions. Hope you know that. If not search some tutorials about white balance and color temperature. Effect of the lens used exist obv. but that issue come after WB ;)

• It was said already, but simplest explanation is that contrast is different in front of the camera. That picture of girl in the woods was most likely done under cloud cover when contrast is low, and exposed to retain some detail in the dress.

• How are you exposing? It looks like you're dead on the center Ev-wise(?) I usually go about two ticks to the right into overexposure. That can help decrease any low level issues and I usually get a little less contrast.

• Contrast depends on lens and filters too. Cheap lens and cheap Variable ND causes a huge drop in contrast)

• Shoot flat, then grade. Within reason. Make sure your monitor is capable of displaying the full dynamic range, then calibrate. If you are using certain editors, they may be forcing your vid into a different color space or doing weird things with the black levels--just another day in video land. Good news is you can usually correct some saturation and contrast issues, if the exposure is OK. IF you are going to mess with the exposure make real sure your clipping warning is on.

• could also be the conversion - it looks like David left the blacks raised a la 5DtoRGB in full mode versus broadcast, also he may have used a lo-con filter on his lens, I know he's got some nice glass (Zeiss and it always delivers a nice lo-contrast look) - there's so many factors involved. There's no magic formula, this is an art that takes time and experimentation to learn.

like I always say get a bit of an education and then... experiment. practice, practice, practice

• Wow...this is GREAT information. I really appreciate all the help! I will definitely keep all these tips in mind! Thanks so much for helping a beginner out!