Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lilliput 664 monitors
  • Curious if anyone has had any experience with these monitors and/or Neway for a comparison.

The Neway looks hard to beat.... but curious about that new Lilliput

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • As far as I understand it is not one model.

Usually Lilliput issues are panels and firmware, as they save on both to keep their margin.

• That's what i'm gathering as well. Was looking at the 664/p version, with peaking.

Does that 200cd/m difference in brightness between the two make a noticeable difference?

• Does that 200cd/m difference in brightness between the two make a noticeable difference?

It depends on your usage, for outdoor it makes difference.

Most difference usually makes panel quality and consistency. Cheap firms like to switch panels as they like (if new one is $2 cheaper :-) )

• haha, indeed, always quality vs quantity output

Thanks for your help as always Vitaliy!

• If you want to get the 664, just get the standard (cheapest) models - I am talking about the 664 or the 664/O. Because the "advanced feature" models (actually) have a few bugs in the firmware (which need to get ironed out first). That´s badly quite often the case with new Lilliput models. Watch this (about the problems):

• Perhaps i'm thinking peaking is overrated.... that's the reason why i want a monitor with peaking. Is it worth it to pay the extra money for?? I don't have any experience pulling focus with a monitor...

• To be honest: The peaking isn´t as useful as often advertised (especially as soon as your frame is moving it´s normaly not usable at all -> Because it´s highlighting the high contrast edges and while movements everything is out of focus / blurry ^^). So it´s only usable on static shots (to focus from one point to another). Also a problem are low contrast objects - They are in focus BUT not highlighted by the peaking (because there are no high contrast areas).

Just to mention this here if it´s not known yet. ^^

I think it´s way more important to have a high resolution screen (and a bigger screen is also helping a lot - which is the case with the smallest 664 model already). SO all in all: Just to have peaking don´t pay about 100 bucks more for the bigger models. Ok. The zebras and histogram are also installed and they are sometimes quite useful. But again: Do you want to pay 100 bucks additionaly just for this two features? That´s the question you should ask yourself. And as already mentioned: The "advanced" models are not working as they should actually (and who knows how long it will take to fix these firmware problems).

Just my 2 cents. Maybe a little bit subjectively written. But I think it´s plausible ^^. Btw.: The only REALLY good peaking I know of is the SmallHD peaking. (But they are a lot more pricey - even the smallest DP4 costs about TWICE as much as the 664 standard model.) AND: Also check out the 663 model. The smallest one is also equipped about the same - But WAY MORE rugged. If it´s not important to have the lightest possible monitor.

• Thanks for your thoughts @Tscheckoff, very helpful.

Having the GH2, i find the histogram very useful, how well does the histogram function on these lilliput monitors? Accurate?

I don't believe the Neway CL76HO has a histogram, but didn't know if I'm missing anything or not with that function.

• @zm15

Many cameras have histogram by itself now. Most useful is to have waveform or at least colors histogram, so you can more easy notice clipping in individual color channels.

• I'm thinking about using it on my D7000, which doesn't have a built in histogram unfortunately...

• Hmm. The only monitor I know of below / around 1000 bucks (with waveform, vectorscope and even RGB waveform) is the IKAN D5W: http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=498 . But that one is way too expensive in comparison. Also because it´s a HD SDI monitor, which is useless with HDMI output only DSLRs & system cameras.

About the performance of the lilliput histogram: To be honest I never compared the in body one with the Lilliput version. But all in all it´s working as promised. If this feature is really important for you - get the bigger models. Altough actually I would only go for the 663/P or 663/O/P (because there are no firmware problems reported - as far as I know - correct me if I´m wrong ^^). But at this price point I would really consider a used or even new SmallHD DP4. It´s smaller - yes - But here you get at least WAY more usable peaking, even better built quality & stability (full metal chassis) and also a way better false color mode (I am talking about the monochrome mode with only the blown out and underexposed areas highlighted). Both features are VERY nice.

About the SmallHD peaking & software in general:

And here a link to the feature page (more detailed list): http://www.smallhd.com/products/dp4-evf/software.html

• Great features on those monitors....

The SmallHD AC7 also looks good, is the CL76HO-X comparable to that monitor?

I know with SmallHD a big part of their offering is the firmware, so i know that's a consideration.

• Yes. The features are the huge pro of the SmallHD monitors. And the easy self upgrade for future firmware updates. But also hardware wise they are quite good equipped & stable. Also important (maybe for the future): They are keeping their value MUCH better than other monitors (because they are quite well established / known).

About the comparison (CL76HO-X vs AC7 for example): Not a THAT fair comparison I think. The AC7 is way more expensive and the features are also noticeably better implemented. BUT: For the asking price, the CL76HO-X is also a VERY good choice (and a good alternative to the 663 and 664 Lilliput models - Altough these are cheaper without the advanced features). But the CL76 has: A very, very bright display (600 nits!), the included accessories are nice (no extra expenses for the sunshade, ballmount or battery adapters - like the case with SmallHD) and you get advanced features like peaking / false color / clip guides (zebras) at this low price point. Especially the high brightness and the adjustable clip guides are the HUGE pros of the CL76HO-X. Beside the fact, that it´s also an IPS 1280x800 model ^^. Hardware quality wise - Good question. Both companies (Lilliput and Neway / IKAN) built also quite bad monitors in the past (and improved over the years). And I think there is a risk with both companies to get a "monday model".

Btw.: If not seen yet -> Here you can check out the features of the CL76HO-X (aka IKAN VX7i): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5590/1280x800-ips-7-neway-cl76ho-x-and-cl76sdi-monitors-amazing/p1

• Both companies (Lilliput and Neway / IKAN) built also quite bad monitors in the past (and improved over the years). And I think there is a risk with both companies to get a "monday model".

:-) In fact SmallHD has also issues with their monitors. Including serious issues with latest models, ala bad and inaccurate colors you can't fix.

If you so want feature rich monitor (with waveforms and such), I really suggest to look at Ikan rather than SmallHD at first.

• @Tscheckoff Just a correction about your info on the Ikan D5W. It does have HDMI input. I've had one for some time now. I used it with my GH2s many times. SDI is loop through though which HDMI is not. It's a really nice and useful monitor.

• For those of you that have used the dp4, my concern is that the screen is too small for tracking focus with a slider shot, is this something to be concerned about? Or will a bigger monitor, 7", with lesser quality peaking achieve the same goal?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev:

Sure. SmallHD also had a few problems with their new series (AC7 and DP7). But they are gone now (nearly all of them - OLED is still not perfect - I know). And I thought it´s more of a choice inbetween IKAN / Neway and Lilliput (because of the way lower price). So I didn´t mention SmallHD here any more (especially not the extremely expensive OLED models) ^^. Feature wise the D5W is really nice yes (with SmallHD you need a very expensive DP7 Pro to get such features). But price wise it´s also not THAT interesting (because there´s no HDMI only version available - too bad for users without SDI out).

@vicharris:

I know that there is a HDMI in at the bottom ^^. Just meant that it´s not that interesting, because it´s a SDI monitor (and there is no HDMI only version) - So it´s quite expensive (and more or less useless expensive if you don´t have a SDI output on your camera system).

@zm15:

Hmm. For your uses I think it´s really the best to get the Neway. For sure the best choice (bank for buck wise - and it´s the best "middle way" inbetween features / performance and price). And if you want a smaller on camera monitor -> You still can get the DP4 in the future. (Because the DP4 "shines" as soon as you want to use it directly on your camera or on a small rig for "quick and dirty" shooting ^^.)

• Lilliput 663 s monitor and Lanparte Monitor Arm video review:

• I made the mistake of buying the 663 o / so no peaking focus ... i regret it