Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Will this Adorama step up ring work on Slr magic 12mm?
  • When I bought my 12mm Magic SLR lens from Adorama it recommended this step up ring:

http://www.adorama.com/FLU5877.html

But, I had heard that you had to buy the majorly expensive version direct from them and that third party step up rings wouldn't work. Does anyone know?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Third party step ups work just fine, the main thing is to use filters 77mm and up to reduce vignetting.

• Perfect! Thanks!

• Just to update: The step up ring definitely vignettes a tad on the 12mm Magic SLR lens. I'm not sure if Magic SLR's pricey $50 version does something differently or what...But, yeah. Just a heads up for anyone researching this too.

• Ok peeps, here's the deal.

1. The third party rings will work for sure but there's one small catch. You will get vignetting regardless of what size you use. The problem lies in the diameter the step has to be where it screws onto the 12mm. If you get a 77 or an 88, it doesn't matter as this part stays the same. Take a look at my promo I shot and you can see an ever slight vignetting in the corners during the day shots. I didn't think it was bad so I left it in the final video too.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5982/resort-promo-i-shot-in-the-keys#Item_10

1. The difference in the SLR ring is that it's machined so the inside edge that vignettes on the 3rd part rings, just clears the image. I can't remember if it's step up or just beveled there but that's the difference.

So see the difference and make the choice that's right for you. I'm pretty sure we have pages of this in the 12mm thread. Did you do a search at all?

• Thanks for the tests and explanation! That helps a lot! To answer your search question. Just look at TheConformist's reply and that's what led me to buying.

• I used a Fotodiox step-up ring with my 12mm lens, and yeah, the ring itself caused noticeable vignetting. Using more than one filter increases this. Would love to know if the SLRMagic adapter avoids this.

@vicharris: I saw no vignetting at all on your video. Nice work, dude.

• I wonder if those Cokin Harmonie super slim filters would work..