Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Question about 50hertz electricity & dance settings
  • New here and looking for a little support wading through the forums. I just purchased a used GH2 and am planning on upgrading the hack to the most recent Flowmotion. I'm about to go shoot in a country with (unreliable) 50hertz electricity, and I'm wondering what formats will be best for me -- do I have to go down to 720p just because of the power supply (that seems odd)? Also is is true that for shots with motion (I'm filming a lot of dance) 1080p is not the best option?

Any other suggestions much welcomed!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Use your usual NTSC settings, but shoot either 1/50 shutter for regular footage, or 1/100 for faster motion like sport - or dance. Nothing wrong with 1080p

• Agree about 1080p - will be fine.

About the power: you say "unreliable" but hopefully it will stay at 50Hz - otherwise you may have issues. Here in the UK (for example) the electricity supply is centrally managed and kept within very fine limits around 50Hz even when the voltage varies a bit.

I can see that dance (fast movement) would require a higher shutter speed unless you're deliberately going for blur, but if you go for 1/50 and the supply frequency is steady at 50Hz it should all work - and go for a multiple of 50 (ie 1/100) and it should work, but you may start to see static colour banding under fluorescent lighting. Hopefully your venue is unlikely to be using that anyway!

On the shutter-speed thing, surely you'd want the shutter open for 1/50 or longer than 1/50? - ie a slower shutter speed, to ensure you don't run into problems. Worst case: shooting under fluorescent lighting with not-quite-50Hz power frequency and you get horizontal colour bands that move slowly vertically.

Hopefully someone has done this and can chip in. My only experience is taking a UK (pal) SD camcorder to the US many moons ago, and fluorescent lighting was definitely a problem - very noticeable colour bars strobing down the picture all the time. It's quite possible that studio fluorescents operate at a much higher frequency to get around this problem. OK in incandescent / stage lighting, though.